[Michlib-l] Re-purposing high school reference sections

Denise bndbartlett at tds.net
Fri Dec 22 12:58:51 EST 2017

I am a retired certified school librarian and am now on our school board.
Since I retired, our small K-12 school has kept the library open with
dedicated para pros and passionate teachers but I do not envision a return
to any kind of nuanced, collaborative library program.  The high school
reference section has not been updated in any way for at least 10 years.
There are many computers housed in the library space, a quality teen fiction
section and a reasonable picture book and elementary section.

As a school board, we may have access to some community foundation money for
various worthy projects.  I am anxious to quiz the brains on the list serve
to see how high schools have managed their reference sections and if there
are any ideas about how to better utilize this space.  And what do we do
with the reference materials that are outdated and unused?

Hopefully this query provides a challenge for rumination over the holidays?!
Thanks in advance for the help.

Denise Bartlett, retired K-12 school librarian

Former member of the Library of MI board