[Michlib-l] Did you survive eclipse day??

ConnieJo Ozinga cjozinga at commercelibrary.info
Tue Aug 22 08:06:26 EDT 2017

What a miserable day.  We had 200 pairs, and we said we would be giving
them away at our eclipse viewing party beginning at 1 p.m.  People started
to line up at 7:30 and demanded I give them out now.  They all had a sob
story.  Meanwhile back in the building two people are needed to answer all
the phone calls about glasses.  In the last week we have probably had a
thousand phone calls about eclipse glasses.  So I had angry people who
didn't get any  screaming at me from the end of line, and at least one
nasty post on facebook - I had to work its not fair.

The people at the viewing party who had them were wonderful about sharing
with those who didn't, and everyone tried out the pinhole viewing boxes.

After this experience I am not sure I would do this again.  All anger about
not enough glasses, very little appreciation.

It's been a long time since I spent most of my work day outside. I am glad
we stocked up on bottled water to hand out.

Connie

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM, LVW Mary Russell <lvwoperations at llcoop.org>
wrote:

> We made it!!
> We received 200 pairs of glasses and only passed them out at our 2
> programs.
> The first program was last month and 40 attended, so that left us 150 pairs
> for today.  We held strong and did not pass any out ahead of time (whew,
> that was hard!).
> We expected maybe 100 people. We had activities such as coloring pages,
> word
> search, galaxy slime, plus moon themed snacks and of course the coveted
> eclipse glasses.  We ended up with more than 300 in attendance with many
> waiting in line for 30 minutes or more to receive their glasses. We ran out
> in the end and the last groups had to share.
> The best thing about the day, besides the awesome turnout, was the fact
> that
> almost all were very respectful, calm, and willing to share.
> I hope your day went as well as ours!
>
> Mary Russell
> Assistant Director
> Tamarack District Library
> 832 S Lincoln Ave, Box 469
> Lakeview, MI  48850
> 989-352-6274
> tamaracklibrary.org

Connie Jo Ozinga
Library Director
Commerce Township Community Library
180 E. Commerce
Commerce, MI 48390
(248) 669-8108 x101
www.commercelibrary.info

Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing *  Playing

--
The information contained in this electronic message is intended only for
the use of the designated recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not