[Mcls-print-storage] Charleston Preconference?

Rick Lugg rick at sustainablecollections.com
Wed Mar 7 18:18:57 EST 2012

Hello all,

As I was writing yesterday's post about our project, it occurred to me that
we ought to consider submitting a proposal for an all-day preconference in
Charleston.

I think there is going to be huge interest in this project. We've tackled a
problem that is common to many, and have made rapid and substantial
progress. Ruth and I have done a number of half-day preconferences for
Charleston, but I think this one warrants a full day. There's a lot to
cover, from normalizing circulation data and defining withdrawal criteria to
drafting an MOU and managing record maintenance. A day would give us a
combined presentation time of 5-6 hours, plus 2-3 hours for Q&A,
discussions, etc. Some basic information:

Date:  Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Deadline for proposal:  April 6th.

Fee:  probably $150-250. (We might be able to use some of the proceeds to
defray travel expenses of presenters-not sure of the practice here).

Speakers:  We'd probably want to have 6-8 people, maybe more, to talk about
different aspects of the project - some from SCS, some from MCLS.

Audience:  The biggest preconference crowd we ever had was 80; the smallest
was about 30. A full-day conference might actually draw more, depending on
what other topics are offered.

Design of the Day: Start with an overview/presentation of results - then
backtrack to how it evolved. Sessions on organization/policy/decision-making
and other sessions on operations/data/scenario comparisons. Some frank talk
about errors. The large library/small library tension. Handling of
uniquely-held titles. Possibly a session on allocation under competing
objectives. Retention commitments, with both policy and practical
implications. Developing an MOU. Measuring progress. Defining success. Etc.

There are a lot of ways we can go at this to make a lively, well-attended
session. But some of you may prefer to pitch plenary or concurrent sessions
in addition or instead. I see that this topic ('dissemination') is on the
agenda for Friday, so perhaps this can be some more grist for the mill.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Lugg

Sustainable Collection Services LLC