[Mcls-print-storage] Withdrawal and Retention Lists

Rick Lugg rick at sustainablecollections.com
Sun Feb 26 12:50:51 EST 2012

Greetings, everyone --

Now that the allocation process is complete SCS will begin preparing the
promised lists. Our plan is to prepare two lists for each library, one for
withdrawal candidates and one for retention commitments. Lists will be
formatted exactly like the withdrawal candidate lists previously sent for
uniquely-held titles, but with two additional fields: Total Charges and a
CHOICE review flag.  For those of you with exceptionally large lists, we may
be in touch to discuss splitting them to make them more manageable. As
agreed, these standard lists-including retention lists-will be provided as
part of the original price of the MCLS agreement.

Some libraries have approached SCS about customization of their lists in
various ways. SCS is willing to discuss such needs with individual
libraries, but these will incur additional charges. The level of those
charges will depend on the specifics of what is wanted.

Andy will begin producing lists this week. It will take several days to
format, produce, and double-check all of them. It would help us to know
which libraries are under the most time pressure; we can make sure those are
done first. From meetings and correspondence, our sense is that SVSU and MTU
need to move soonest-is this correct? There won't be more than a couple of
weeks difference between the first list and the last (except in cases where
list customization is wanted), but we'd be happy to honor any priority order
the group agrees to.

Finally, Andy came up with another way of looking at the final results-and
allocation equity/accommodations-- across the group. This chart shows how
retention responsibility and withdrawal opportunity break out for each
library. It highlights, for instance, how much responsibility Central,
Eastern, and Western have absorbed in order to create opportunities for
other libraries that needed to withdraw more (Wayne, SVSU, MTU). It seems
useful to provide this level of transparency-both for this round and for
allocation discussions in subsequent projects. We hope you find it helpful.

Library

Retention

Count

Withdrawal