[Mcls-print-storage] ALCTS Webinar opportunity

Rick Lugg rick at sustainablecollections.com
Wed Apr 18 12:20:23 EDT 2012

Hello all,

SCS has been asked to participate in an ALCTS "Virtual Preconference" on the
topic "Collection Management for the Age of Shared Print Initiatives."  (A
draft description appears below.) We've asked to speak at the June 5th
session. That day's theme will be:

Shared Collection Management and Collaborative Decision-Making

*	Undertaking collaborative weeding projects
*	Policies and programs to preserve optimal copies and "last" copies

The Planning Committee has asked us to extend the invitation to the MCLS
pilot group, or rather the Michigan SPI group. As I understand it, this
would be a 90-minute session, divided as follows:

--SCS - 30 minutes

--SPI - 30 minutes

--Q&A - 30 minutes

My suggestion was that we talk about using data to evolve both deselection
criteria and group-wide collection policies. I think it would work best if
we had one person from each of our organizations to deliver the message, but
we might be able to accommodate two. I realize June 5th is not that far
away, and that may limit who is able to participate.

Not sure how you'll decide amongst yourselves, but it's a good opportunity
to describe how the criteria evolved, and perhaps how the MOU evolved/is
evolving. One thing to consider: a webinar is a pretty strange form of
presentation-there is typically neither video nor audio feedback - it can be
quite hard to tell whether you're getting across or not. Questions will
probably be submitted via chat to a moderator. On the upside, these sessions
have pretty wide reach.

Draft Description

We're looking to together a  virtual pre-conference for ALA 2012:
"Collection Management for the Age of Shared Print Initiatives."    A bit of
background:

The virtual preconferences are a new format for ALCTS in 2012.   Given the
fact that travel support has become an issue for many librarians, this is an
exciting opportunity to engage members of the ALA community who aren't able
to travel.  And, as you may have gathered from the late date I'm writing to
you, the deadlines are more forgiving than for on-site events.     While
this is new territory, the virtual pre-conference is envisioned as a series
of 3-5  webinars (1 - 1.5 hours each, with 1-3 speakers per session) that
take place in the weeks leading up to Annual.   Participants will have the
opportunity to sign up for individual webinars, or they can sign up for the
entire preconference at a discounted rate.

Here's what we envision, but I'd be interested in your input:

Audience

The intended audience for this series of webinars would be staff at academic
libraries and large public libraries that:

-Have recently entered into a shared print agreement, or are considering
entering into a shared print agreement
-Are interested in relying on shared print initiatives for preservation of
some materials in the future
-Are interested in managing collections in a collective context (i.e. making
decisions about weeding, retention, transfer to offsite storage, and
preservation)

Content

Overall, this pre-conference is intended to serve as a "primer" for shared
print archiving.  The content would optimally be a mix of the theoretical
and the pragmatic that covers current research and emerging tools, as well
as practical advice and "case studies" from individuals and institutions
that are actively involved in shared collection management.

Topics might include:

-Current research on optimal copies (or "minimal" copies, depending on your
perspective)
-Current research on mechanisms for sharing print retention commitments
(i.e. the 583 field)
-The PAPR registry
-Anatomy of a shared print agreement
-Recent projects to undertake collaborative weeding
-Emerging decision support tools
-Identifying bibliographic issues that might prevent or impede shared
collection management
-PR aspects-- how can libraries begin to advocate for shared print
management to library staff, faculty and other campus stakeholders, and the
general public

Overall, the goal is to provide attendees with a broad overview of the
landscape, prepare them to talk with library administrators and campus
stakeholders about shared collection management, and to give the tools
necessary to begin planning, asking questions, etc.

Bibliographic Aspects of Shared Collection Management

*	Identifying common cataloging issues that inhibit effective
cross-collection analysis and assessment, planning for remediation
*	Planning to share retention commitments through local holdings
records

Shared Collection Management and Collaborative Decision-Making

*	Undertaking collaborative weeding projects
*	Policies and programs to preserve optimal copies and "last" copies

Planning for Shared Collection Management

*	Creating a collection management plan in the collective context
*	Creating a communications plan for campus and faculty outreach

Rick Lugg

Sustainable Collection Services LLC

63 Woodwell's Garrison

Contoocook, NH 03229