[Michlib-l] MAP 2018-2019 Goes Live Tomorrow!

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed May 23 13:04:56 EDT 2018

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have some very good news to share: the 11th year of the MAP program starts tomorrow, Thursday, May 24, 2018. From our somewhat humble beginnings in Fall, 2007 as the Museum Adventure Pass program that included 30 destinations and public libraries in six metro Detroit counties, the Michigan Activity Pass program of 2018-2019 features 443 partner destinations available to patrons of the 638 participating public library buildings.

More good news: every one of the MAP destinations that participated in 2017-2018, has opted to stay with the program for 2018-2019! This tells us that besides being good sports and agreeing to absorb a hit at the gate (unlike the case with nearly every other public library/museum partnership around the country, our partner destinations receive no financial compensation), our partner destinations also recognize the promotional and public relations value that goes along with being part of a program that now has in excess of 6,000 Facebook likes https://www.facebook.com/MIActivityPass/

Speaking of promotion, the very popular MAP brochures have been updated for 2018-2019 and are available at http://tln.lib.mi.us/map/ (yes, the header reads 2017-2018 MAP brochures; we will get that corrected).

During the past year I have gotten multiple queries from librarians across the country, asking about MAP. How did we start it, how do we fund it, how do we pay our partner destinations (remember, we don't), how would you recommend we go about starting our own program, etc. That librarians around the United States are not only aware of MAP but seek to emulate it is a tribute to your hard work to promote the program to your patrons. That said, remember that there is only one genuine MAP program, the Michigan one. Accept no substitutions or imitations!

Thank you for your support and promotion of the Michigan Activity Pass program, and here's to an even more successful 2018-2019!

Sincerely,

Jim F.

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager