[Michlib-l] Become a Michigan Center for the Book Affiliate Today!!

Donna Olson dolson at ssldl.info
Fri Jun 15 17:12:05 EDT 2018

Hello all!

Consider becoming a Michigan Center for the Book affiliate! For a minimal
investment, your library can be part of a boatload of local, statewide and
national projects and events.

Affiliate members have a seat on the Center for the Book Board, participate
in programs as they are able for minimal annual dues. Member travel to
national events is supported in whole or in part by the Library
of Michigan.  Contact Janice Murphy at murphyJ3 at michigan.gov
<murphyJ3 at michigan.gov?subject=MCFB> or 517-373-1302 and join today!

The *Michigan Center for the Book is the Michigan affiliate of the
National Center for the Book at the Library of Congress.*

*Why ?*

Because the rewards far outweigh the minimal investment! Fifteen libraries
are affiliates of the Center for the Book. They are members because of the
variety of benefits they gain!

 As a way to enrich the lives of our patrons!

·         By being visibly committed to an effort to increase literacy

·         By working to spread knowledge of Michigan’s authors and literary
heritage

·         By celebrating and supporting books

 To support literary grants!

·         By funding our literary grant program through dues

·         By receiving grant funding themselves

·         By funding Literary Landmarks

 To participate in local and national events and networking!

·         By attending the National Book Festival at Library of Congress in
Washington DC

·         By representing Michigan at the national Idea Exchange meeting
for state Centers for the book

 To support authors and libraries have more and better literary events!

·         By supporting the Michigan Notable Books program and getting the
inside track on the Notable author tour

·         By supporting the Michigan Library Author Visit blog, the Author
Visit how to site, and the One Book Archive

 To learn from and network with fellow members!

·         By exchanging programming ideas

·         By working together on Center projects

 MCFTB mission is to promote an awareness of books, reading, literacy,
authors and Michigan's rich literary heritage!

*Activities*

*Activities and Resources of the Michigan Center for the Book*

The Center for the Book's mission includes promoting reading, authors
and Michigan's literary heritage. To do so, we create and maintain
resources such as the Michigan Authors & Illustrators database, a
searchable record of Michigan authors present and past. We do projects such
as the Literary Landmarks, which draw attention to notable literary places
in Michigan. We sponsor activities by other groups such as
the Michigan Author Awards, which bring readers in touch
with Michigan authors. These activities bring the wonder of Michigan's
literary world to people at home and in libraries across the state.

*Promotions and Sponsorships*

The Center participates in events and sponsors activities to encourage
public interest in Michigan authors and promote reading.

Events include representing Michigan at the annual National Book Festival
<http://www.loc.gov/bookfest> in Washington, DC. The 17th Festival was held
at the Washington Convention Center on Saturday, September 2. Podcasts are
available. <http://loc.gov/bookfest/>  Affiliates also host a table at
the Kerrytown
Bookfest <https://www.kerrytownbookfest.org/>, Alpena Bookfest
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1556502437725449>, Detroit Book Festival
<https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-about-michigan/michigan-events/detroit-festival-of-books-at-eastern-market-coming-in-july>
and
more.

Sponsorships include support for the Library of Michigan's Michigan Notable
Books program, and the Michigan Library Association’s annual
<http://www.milibraries.org/about/michigan-author-award/>Michigan Author
Award <http://www.milibraries.org/about/michigan-author-award/>.
The Center produces an annual Programming Guide for the Notable Books
program as part of our sponsorship.

The Center for the Book manages the Letters about Literature
<http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-34169---,00.html#LETTERSABOUTLIT>
program
in Michigan in collaboration with the National Center for the Book and
Target.

*Grants*

A goal of the Center for the Book is to bring literary activities to a
broad range of people that might not otherwise have these experiences. One
way we do this is to provide small grants for literary events in Michigan.

*Photos from 2017 National Book Festival*

​

*Donna Olson, Director*

*Salem-South Lyon District Library*

9800 Pontiac Trail, South Lyon, MI 48178

Phone: (248) 437-6431 ext. 206 | Fax: (248) 437-6593

http://www.ssldl.info | https://www.facebook.com/SSLDL

https://www.instagram.com/ssldl | https://twitter.com/ssldl