[Michlib-l] Compilation: Volunteer Handbooks

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Mon Apr 16 16:53:26 EDT 2018

Thank you, all!  Here's what I received and what we developed (draft).

Hi Cindy,

> I don't have a volunteer handbook here at Royal Oak, but I do have a
>> pro-tip about hiring youth volunteers: make sure they are over age 14 and
>> have a valid work permit from their school.  We weren't doing that and were
>> unknowingly breaking MI labor law.  Now our librarian who works with the
>> teens has a stack of them pre-filled out with the library's information
>> that we can give to them when they fill out an application.
>

>> Have a great day!
>
> Adrienne
>

>> Adrienne Breznau
>
> Head of Support Services
>
> Royal Oak Public Library
>
> 222 E. Eleven Mile Road
>
> Royal Oak, MI 48067
>

>> Tel: 248-246-3714

____________

Here is how our policy reads (redone/approved 2013)

>> VOLUNTEER POLICY
>
> The Rauchholz Memorial Library recognizes the need for and welcomes
>> community volunteers. Volunteers are individuals or groups who give their
>> time and talents to the Library without compensation. The Director shall
>> have the authority to approve the use of volunteers. Volunteers will work
>> under the direction of the Library Director or staff person designated by
>> the Library Director and will follow all Library policies and standards,
>> including the policies and laws regarding privacy of Library records.
>> Training and information will be provided for the assigned tasks. Minors
>> may volunteer with parental consent and work under the guidance of a staff
>> member. The Library Director may discontinue the use of any volunteer who
>> does not follow policy and procedures of the Library.
>>

>> BillieJo Bluemer
>
> Director
>
> Rauchholz Memorial Library
>
> 1140 N Hemlock Rd
>
> Hemlock MI 48626
>
> 989-642-8621
>
> billiejo at rauchholzlibrary.org

Cynthia Stanczak
Library Director
Albion District Library
501 S. Superior St.
Albion, MI  49224
(517) 629-3993

Albion District Library: Transforming Minds, Changing Lives.
Proudly serving our community since 1919.
Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on Facebook!