[Michlib-l] Snap Circuits for Kids/Teen programming

Jim Moir jimmoir57 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:23:49 EDT 2017

Hello,

We have been trying various electronics programs in conjunction with the
IEEE. We used grant money to purchase several kits, which were introduced
in the workshops and then made available for sign-out. The kits were not
all that popular. Also, it was extremely difficult to insure that the
numerous pieces were still there upon return.

In our latest venture (for grades 5 and up) the IEEE representatives
obtained a generous grant and we were able to assemble customized
electronic kits for use during the class. Every kid got their own plastic
case full of tools and supplies. The kits were signed out to them for the
duration of the class.

We will soon offer another program that will build on this one, and the
kits will be expanded to include a simple computer circuit board and other
supplies.

Using the kits as part of a class worked out very well. The basic set cost
just under $50. We provided a detailed list of components in case any of
the families wished to purchase one to keep.

Regards,

Jim Moir, Youth Librarian
Dearborn Heights City Libraries