[Michlib-l] CPL Job Posting
sharmas at cantonpl.org
Wed Jun 7 13:52:10 EDT 2017
Canton Public Library currently has a new position open with our Business Services Department (now through June 25, 2017.) Following are the main details of the position along with the Job description and requirements.
Job Title: Building Monitor
Supervisor: Marian Nicholson, Department Head - Business Services
Starting Wage: $13.23- $14.00 per hour
Scheduled Hours: 20 hours per week (evenings and weekends)
Benefits: Prorated: Vacation time, sick time and holidays.
Apply to: Marian Nicholson, Department Head - Business Services
Email: nicholsonm at cantonpl.org<mailto:nicholsonm at cantonpl.org>
Application Deadline: 6:00 pm on Sunday, June 25, 2017
Application packets must include an official CPL employment application<https://www.cantonpl.org/sites/default/files/CPL_Employment_Application.pdf> (available at cantonpl.org<https://www.cantonpl.org/sites/default/files/CPL_Employment_Application.pdf>), cover letter and resume. Only complete application packets received or postmarked by 6:00 pm Sunday, June 25, 2017 will be considered. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
Under the management of the Business Services Department Head, the Building Monitor is responsible for ensuring a safe and secure environment for patrons and staff; enforcing library rules and policies in the library building and on library property. The nature of the work requires evening and weekend hours. This position is classified as a regular part-time position and is non-exempt from overtime under FLSA guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Monitors all areas of the library building and grounds for security and potential safety issues and/or damage. Recommends effective safety enhancements and/or corrective actions to the Department Head. Repairs or reports damage to Building Supervisor.
* Assists library staff with maintaining order and appropriate library behavior throughout the property.
* Possesses a complete understanding of and ability to enforce library policies using a polite and professional approach. Includes removing unruly or disruptive patrons from the library, and when necessary, seeking police intervention for refusal to comply, or for violations of the law.
* Composes detailed, clear and concise incident reports; obtains case numbers in the event of police involvement. Accurately logs, uploads and/or updates incident reports according to established procedures.
* Possesses a complete understanding of security hardware/software and has the ability to capture images in accordance with established policies and procedures.
* Compiles, maintains, reviews and/or interprets statistical data; prepares reports as requested by the Director or Department Head.
* Facilitates effective building access/key control including annual audit of staff access levels.
* Provides an overview of security procedures to newly hired staff and occasional reviews to existing staff.
* Ensures final building security after library closing (checks doors, clears the building and sets alarm).
* Liaison to evening janitorial service. Performs spot checks of premises to ensure cleanliness and reports/resolves deficiencies with crew leader. Reports unresolved concerns to Department Head.
* Maintains an inventory of janitorial supplies within assigned budget.
* Stays informed of library news and events via review of all forms of library communication: website, email, SharePoint, library newsletter and blog. Contributes content as appropriate.
* Accepts special assignments or duties in support of the library's goals and objectives.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Facilitates set-up/take-down of meeting rooms for various in-house and public programs; maintains flexibility in work schedule to accommodate events held outside of normal library hours.
* Monitors public restrooms; refills paper products as needed.
* Empties trash from exterior of building and picks up trash on the grounds as necessary.
* Shovels light snow and spreads salt to eliminate unsafe sidewalk conditions; contacts snow contractor when needed.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
* High School diploma or equivalent.
* Working knowledge of the most widely-used features of Microsoft Office applications, the internet and common office equipment.
* Ability to perform light building maintenance.
* Previous public service experience.
* Working knowledge of library operations and services, including an understanding of and adherence to fundamental principles of open access to library materials and the privacy rights of patrons.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of private and/or sensitive information. Uses discretion in handling confidential library matters.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to deliver tactful and decisive communications regarding policies, procedures and guidelines to an audience not always receptive to the information being communicated.
* Ability to work effectively with a diverse public; including children and teenagers.
* Ability to work under stressful conditions, exercise good judgment, and act quickly in emergencies.
* Ability to multi-task, establish priorities, and remain organized in a changing environment.
* Punctuality and dependability.
* Consistent display of public service attitude that reflects the library's values.
* One year of public service experience.
* Prior public library experience.
* Prior experience with youth and teens.
* Familiarity with SharePoint and Avigilon Security Software.
* Current CPR certification.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS
* Sufficient physical agility to stand, walk, bend, stoop, reach, sit, lift up to 40 lbs., and push carts weighing up to 200 lbs.
* Ability to work outdoors for prolonged periods of time in all weather conditions as well as in noisy and potentially hazardous environments with electricity, dust, debris and chemicals.
* Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate in writing and verbally.
* Sufficient vision which permits the employee to produce and review a wide variety of materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
* Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions in a fast-paced environment.
Canton Public Library is an EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This job description is not a contract between the library and the employee. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. The library reserves the right to revise this job description at its discretion.
sharmas at cantonpl.org<mailto:sharmas at cantonpl.org>
Canton Public Library<http://www.cantonpl.org/>
1200 S. Canton Center Rd., Canton, MI 48188
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 2659 bytes
More information about the Michlib-l