[Michlib-l] Reading challenge

Grai, Rebecca grai at northwood.edu
Mon Jan 9 10:00:35 EST 2017

Happy New Year everyone!  We are a small business university library.  For the new year, we are starting a reading challenge.  The idea is to encourage our students (and any others) to read more.  We have a few ideas already, but I'm reaching out to any other university library that has tried this.  What did you do to get participation?  What worked, what didn't?  What suggestions might you have for this project?  Did you limit this to students or include anyone?

The eligible reading materials are books, newspapers, (10 articles=1 book) magazines/periodicals (5=1 book), and newspapers (10 individual papers=1 book) .  Each time someone finishes a book (not a textbook) or magazine, etc., they come to the library for a sticker (or some other thing) and places it on a "bookshelf" that we are creating out of paper.  We are running this project all year and we want to fill the shelf with our read materials.  We are not making this a contest or anything like that.  It is just reading for the enjoyment of it.

Any ideas?
TIA,

Rebecca Grai
Strosacker Library
989-837-4333

Northwood University - Developing the future leaders of a global free-enterprise society.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Gandhi