[Michlib-l] potential author visit

Hamlin,Jolee hamlinj at cadl.org
Wed Jan 13 18:59:46 EST 2016

Hi there - I have been in touch with a publicist from Candlewick about a forthcoming book from a Michigan illustrator who is having his first picture book published by them. The illustrator, Francis Vallejo, will publish Jazz Day<http://candlewick.com/cat.asp?browse=Subject&mode=book&isbn=0763669547&bkview=zmzmhprwru&pix=y> in early March. It tells the story of the making of the iconic photo Harlem 1958.

Francis grew up in what he calls "the deep rougher areas of Detroit" ;-) and is keen to do school or library visits in Detroit or elsewhere in Michigan. Here is a brief biographical video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki0cSioKGjs . He has begun planning for school and library visits that would involve a drawing activity; an introduction to the book; and discussion of his work and background (including growing up in Detroit) and the process of becoming an illustrator, with an optional slideshow, depending upon a/v capabilities. But he's flexible. I thought I would pass this on to you as it sounds like it could be a cool program, and he is not asking a fee except for mileage.

Here are some reviews:
When readers eventually open a foldout page to see the photograph, the moment is magic-alive with the presence and skill of the musicians, as well as the promise and potential of the children around them. Beyond being a glorious tribute to these jazz greats, the book is also a phenomenal debut for Vallejo, whose dynamic acrylic and pastel images bring readers into the heart of the action of a day like no other. -- Publishers Weekly (starred review)

--------

Vallejo's acrylic-and-pastel paintings vividly capture the shoot's vignettes and the skittish excitement of neighborhood kids. Pulling details from a 1995 documentary film and other resources, Orgill and Vallejo offer a dynamic, multifaceted work that deftly juxtaposes biography with praise poem, information with imagination. Teachers, librarians, jazz-loving families: take note. -Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

The contact is Phoebe Kosman at Candlewick Press: phoebe.kosman at candlewick.com<mailto:phoebe.kosman at candlewick.com> ; 617-588-4445. I am looking into having him visit some branches at CADL in the fall.

Thanks!

Jolee Hamlin, Associate Director of Public Service
Capital Area District Libraries -- Administration
401 S Capitol Ave
Lansing MI 48933
517-367-0810<tel:517-367-0810> (external); ext. 1810 (internal) | hamlinj at cadl.org<mailto:hamlinj at cadl.org>
www.cadl.org<http://www.cadl.org/>