[Michlib-l] Breaking news from CSLP!

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Tue Apr 26 11:54:40 EDT 2016

CSLP, the Collaborative Summer Library Program<http://www.cslpreads.org/>, held their Annual Meeting last week in Salt Lake City, UT.  For those who do not know the CSLP is a consortium of states, founded in 1987, that  work together to "provide a unified summer reading theme along with professional art and evidence-based materials so that member libraries can provide high-quality summer reading programs at the lowest possible cost and to play a significant role in literacy initiatives."

It's a 3-day meeting where a lot of discussion, brainstorming and planning is done for summer reading clubs across the country.  The manuals (now on CD) your library receives every year for planning summer reading are worked on years ahead of time!  In fact, "Build a Better World" manuals are in their final stages for the summer of 2017.  Some of the big decisions made last week are the following:

Summer Reading 2017:  the slogan is "Build A Better World"

*         Early Lit/Youth Illustrator is: David Maculay (attached)

*         Teen Illustrator is: Scott Sosebee (attached)

*         Adult Illustrator is: Larry Jones (attached)
Overall, the Annual Meeting Attendees loved the art work and found it to be diverse and interchangeable, depending if your location is going more towards the "building/construction" theme or perhaps a broader, more "improving the community" oriented theme.

Summer Reading 2018:  the theme is Music, the slogan for all-ages is "Libraries Rock!"

o   A list of potential illustrators were narrowed down to a top 10 of who to approach for posters & clip art, including Frank Morrison, Brian Pinkney and Yuyi Morales.

o   Chapter themes were brainstormed - I'll be putting out a survey in the somewhat-near future for your topics/ideas.

Summer Reading 2019:  the theme is Space.  (Slogan will be voted on in 2017)

o   It will be the 50th anniversary of Walking on the Moon.

o   Washington DC Public Library has a relationship with NASA and we're going to work on expanding that for libraries across the country.

Please let me know if you have any questions & keep an eye on your email for future surveys regarding CSLP.  Also, we have a few extra CDs with a 30 second PSA & 4 messages from Kate DiCamillo for Summer Reading this year - message me off-list if you need a copy on CD.  Otherwise, they are available for download to all at www.cslpreads.org<http://www.cslpreads.org>.  You can also stay tuned for more on the Library of Michigan's Summer Reading Program<http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-18668_34169-236191--,00.html> page.

Thank you,
Cathy Lancaster

Youth Services Coordinator
517-373-5700 f