[Michlib-l] Computer Permission Slips for Minors

Ashlee McClaughry ashlee.ctl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:43:39 EDT 2016

Hello,

We currently require parents to sign a permission slip for children under
17 to use our computers. We are thinking of doing away with the permission
slips for several reasons.

   1. Parents are not reading the slips, they're just signing
   2. Anyone using our computers has to accept our computer policy before
   they can get on the Internet
   3. Our Internet is filtered in the children's department, and children
   are not allowed on the computers in the adult department unless a parent is
   sitting with them
   4. We have kept up with a list of children who have and have not turned
   in permission slips (several hundred names are on this list), but as staff
   retires or moves onto other positions, our newer staff does not know who
   all these children are and have found using this list to be very confusing
   and/or tedious.

The biggest reason we have not discontinued use of the permission slips is
because our Wi-Fi is not filtered (but our Internet is).

We are wondering if other libraries require permission slips before
allowing minors to use filtered computers? If so, what are your reasons? If
you don't require permission slips or have done away with them, what are
your reasons?

Thanks in advance!

--
Ashlee McClaughry, Young People's Librarian
Comstock Township Library
ashlee.ctl at gmail.com