[Michlib-l] RFID & Security Gate Removal

Laura J. Kraly lkraly at loutitlibrary.org
Fri Sep 11 11:12:05 EDT 2015

Hello again,

I thought I'd post back to the list and share the responses I got to my
original question. Three libraries responded with their solutions to the
gate question.

***

Library #1
We are a bar code library and have also removed our security gates.  Even
with security we experienced a lot of theft mostly from community service
volunteers.  We have prosecuted the thieves and have received restitution
from them via the courts.

I don't know if our theft rate has gone up or down, but we got so many
false alarms with the gates that we are at least able to say the library is
quieter.  We shelve our DVD collection in locked cases in the public area
and still keep our video game collection of over 4,000 games behind the
circulation desk.

***
Library #2
We have turned off our gates, 5 years now. They were such an issue with
false alarms - and our physical layout combined with personnel shortages
(or personnel on duty having other things to do!!!), that we just decided
it is not worth it.

We noticed no increase in loss.  We don't have a big loss problem in any
case.  I actually did study the difference at one point - can't put my
hands on results though.  I remember there is no difference with gates on
or off. They are still there, so I don't know if their physical presence
makes a difference.

***
Library #3

[We] left ours up as a visual deterrent – plus we didn’t have to worry
about carpeting, wires, etc. This week, our maintenance person smelled
something electrical and unplugged the power supplies to the gates. They
had been left powered, but there was no computer running behind them.

However, we have no hard data to whether or not they actually work as a
visual deterrent or not.

***

I also had several libraries ask to share any responses and a lot of
interest as to why we're moving away from RFID; the short answer is that we
were in the position of replacing all of the hardware, the software, and
retagging the entire collection at a significant expense, which made us
question whether the RFID system was truly meeting our needs or if there
was another less expensive, more functional option. I'm happy to answer any
individual questions you might have; feel free to call or email any time.

Laura

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Laura J. Kraly <lkraly at loutitlibrary.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We're currently going through the process of decommissioning our RFID
system in favor of a barcode-based circulation and self-check setup. We are
discussing removing the non-functional security gates from our entryways on
accessibility and aesthetic grounds, but our board wanted to know if other
libraries experienced an increase in materials theft as a consequence of
removing them.

> If you have removed security gates and/or moved away from using RFID in
your library, I would love to hear about your experiences, particularly if
you have any sort of data or numbers-based evidence, although anecdotal
information is very welcome too.

lkraly at loutitlibrary.org