[Michlib-l] RFID & Security Gate Removal

Laura J. Kraly lkraly at loutitlibrary.org
Wed Sep 9 09:34:21 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

We're currently going through the process of decommissioning our RFID
system in favor of a barcode-based circulation and self-check setup. We are
discussing removing the non-functional security gates from our entryways on
accessibility and aesthetic grounds, but our board wanted to know if other
libraries experienced an increase in materials theft as a consequence of
removing them.

If you have removed security gates and/or moved away from using RFID in
your library, I would love to hear about your experiences, particularly if
you have any sort of data or numbers-based evidence, although anecdotal
information is very welcome too.

--

Laura J. Kraly
Head of Adult Services