[Michlib-l] comic books

Jeff Anderson Jeff.Anderson at monroe.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 14 11:50:07 EDT 2015

Marian,

Most of your comic book readers are going to be older teenagers through early Thirties.  I don't think the mentality to keep up with comic books is really a children's thing anymore. Comics are written for all ages but the age with expendable income (people with job) is the group they are most made for. If you separate your collection into children's, young adult, and adult you could do the comic books the same way. We just have it separated as children and adult.  Just take the comics that are obviously children (ones like looney tunes or mickey mouse) and make those for kids and everything else for adults. Avengers, Superman, and Teen Titan tends to have some blood in them and characters tend to romance each other and sleep together.  It it not generally super graphic but it is enough I would keep them out of the children's section.

What can make it especially hard is that there might be a Batman comic that is based on the cartoon series and isn't too bad but then there will be a separate batman series that is much more dark and violent. So you can't just make a blanket judgement call about everything Batman.  So again we just make the very obvious stuff for kids and everything else for adults.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me on or off list.  I keep up with comic book as well as catalog them. Reading them really makes cataloging them a lot easier.

Jeff Anderson
Collection Services
Monroe County Library System
734-241-5770