[Michlib-l] Searching for a book

Claire Mueller claire.mueller at westlandlibrary.org
Mon Nov 9 19:03:31 EST 2015

A had a question about a book that a woman used to read as a child  in the 80s or 90s.  The book sounds familiar to me, but I can't think of the title. The general idea of the story:

A general or mayor is in charge of a town and dictates that all the people must wear the same thing and all of the houses and yards must look alike (all white, maybe?)  Then, a new family moves to town and they dress in a multitude of colors and paint their house all kinds of different colors.  They are fun to be with and friendly to all of the town's citizens.  The general/mayor can't stand them because they refuse to follow his rules.  He commands one night that the one  house that is different should be bulldozed.  However, all of the citizens turn the tables on the general/mayor by painting their own houses in a colorful way, so that the only different house belongs to the general/mayor.  In the morning, his house is the one that has been torn down.

Does anyone recall the title of this book? Thank you,

Claire Mueller

claire.mueller at westlandlibrary.org