[Michlib-l] Volunteer Reviewers needed for Write Michigan

Heidi Nagel HNagel at kdl.org
Mon Nov 9 18:21:56 EST 2015

Hi all!

If you've ever wanted to be part of an exciting endeavor, here's your chance to review entries for the Write Michigan Short Story contest.

Who: Librarians, Readers and Booksellers from around the state

What:  The Write Michigan Short Story contest is taking entries for all ages from people who live in Michigan and awarding cash prizes to the winners.  Kent District Library and Schuler Books partner to put on this contest - now in its 4th year.

Where: Submissions will be available for review online.  Volunteers will be given a login.

When:  Reading/reviewing will take place from Dec 7, 2015 and Jan 3, 2016.

How:  Volunteers are asked to read entries in one of three age categories (youth - under 12 years, teen - 12-17 years, and adult - 18 years and over).  Each volunteer could have 10-13 stories total.  Each story will be read by two volunteers.  Story authors will not be disclosed but we ask that if volunteers have entered the contest or have friends/family who did, that they volunteer to review another contest category.

Why: We want to extend this opportunity to those who love to read, who love to promote the written word, and who love to see good things happen to people!

If this sounds interesting to you, please respond to Michelle Boisvenue-Fox (mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org<mailto:mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org>) with the information below by Friday, November 20.  If you are available to review stories that last weekend of the contest, this would be additional stories that other volunteers did not finish reviewing.  And we are exploring the opportunity to expand our contest to Spanish-language stories.  We have a number of reviewers returning from last year that can review in Spanish.  We don't yet have judges that can do this but if these stories made it to the final round, they would be included in the Readers Choice contest (where people vote on the website for their favorite story).  So let me know if you can review Spanish Language stories.

Learn more about the contest at www.writemichigan.org<http://www.writemichigan.org>

Details:
1.       Name / Email address
2.       Organization
3.       First Choice category (adult | teen | youth |  No Preference)
4.       Second Choice category (adult | teen | youth |  No Preference)
5.       Last minute reviewing?  Yes or no.
6.       Review in Spanish?  Yes or no.

The contest ends on November 30 so don't delay!  Thanks for your responses.

Michelle

Michelle Boisvenue-Fox
Director of Innovation & User Experience
Kent District Library
814 West River Center  Dr NE | Comstock Park MI 49321
616-784-2195 | mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org<mailto:mboisvenue-fox at kdl.org>