[Michlib-l] Cromaine Library in Hartland hosts Teachers' Discovery Frida Kahlo exhibit through May 9

Ceci Marlow cmarlow at cromaine.org
Fri May 1 11:35:19 EDT 2015

Folks are welcome to go on up, without escort, to view the exhibit which
is at our main library, 3688 N. Hartland Road, Hartland, on the third
floor.  It is an educational exhibit with panels explaining and putting
into context some of Kahlo's works.

This exhibit will be up through May 9, then shipping out on Monday for
the next site.

We have a three-part series which begins May 6, "A Taste of A.L.I.V.E."
with a talk from the Michigan Labor History Society about the Ford
Hunger March/Massacre which happened in Detroit the month before Rivera
and Kahlo arrived in Detroit. Henry Ford directed his guards to shoot
the marching workers. His son, Edsel Ford, had commissioned Rivera to
paint the Detroit Industry murals at the DIA. Quite a contrast in
thoughts about the Detroit assembly worker.

May 13 we'll show a lesser-known film about Kahlo, that was filmed in
part at her home, Casa Azul.
May 20 we have an opportunity for hands-on Frida-inspired crafts.
All of these programs begin at 6:30 pm and all are held at the Village
location, 3688 N. Hartland Road, Hartland.

The exhibit and the series are here to coincide with the Detroit
Institute of Arts Rivera-Kahlo exhibit which is open now through July
12. This is the first exhibit of Kahlo's works in Detroit and also
showcases newly restored preparatory drawings by Rivera for the Detroit
Industry murals.

We believe "Frida-mania" (as her biographer Herrera termed it) is
widespread. We wanted Cromaine to be able to offer, once again in
keeping with the Crouse Hartland Project legacy, a connection to Mexican
art and culture, our own auto industry history and this exceptional
female artist.

Questions? Call Ceci Marlow, 810-632-5200, ext. 105.