[Michlib-l] New phone system responses

Rebecca Higgerson rhiggerson at brandonlibrary.org
Fri Mar 27 16:51:45 EDT 2015

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for information!  I've
collated the answers below and believe I've included everyone.  What a great
group of colleagues!!!

Rebecca Higgerson

Director

Brandon Township Public Library

304 South Street

Ortonville MI 48462

(248) 627-1474 (office)

(916) 471-9955 (cell)

(248) 627-9880 (fax)

We have one of those fancy VOIP systems, made more complicated by all our
locations.  I'm only writing to let you know that BCS (Business
Communications Systems) out of Sterling Heights has not been good to deal
with when it comes to service.  Part of that is cost, which may be a result
of my not having a lawyer look over the contract.  The other is response
time, which is terrible and at times has taken phone call after phone call.
The phones that we have from them are NEC, and the phones themselves are
pretty reliable.

I understand that Brady's Business Systems from Grand Blanc works with
phones as well as the copiers and printers that they've provided for us.
Their service is wonderful.  I can't say anything about any phone product
that they offer, but the printers and copiers that we bought from them are
workhorses.

Melissa Malcolm

Lapeer

We are currently in the middle of installing a new phone system.  Our tactic
was to hire a  consultant from Convergent Technology Partners
(http://ctpartners.net) to manage both the bid process and project.  They
were extremely helpful and worth the extra money.

The phone vendor we are working with is BSB Communications
(http://www.phonesystemssaintclairshores.com) which is a Mitel Phone vendor.
So far, we have been very pleased with them as a vendor.  We have been
training this week and plan to cut over on March 26.

Kevin King

Head, Branch and IT Services

Kalamazoo Public Library

We replaced a very old (and dead) system last year.  We used Technology
Solutions and purchased the Zultys system.  We did not have an opportunity
to look at other systems, since the phone system died suddenly.  We used
Technology Solutions when we built the library back in 2003 and we were
happy with their service.  We've been very pleased so far.  I especially
like that there is a connection to our computers and we can mark from the
computer whether we're at lunch, in a meeting, etc.

My contact at Technology Solutions is Kevin Murphy  kmurphy at ts-llc.com
1-734-793-6201

Tina L. Hatch, Director
Milford Public Library

We got a new phone system fairly recently.  We used Amerinet out of Ann
Arbor.  734-995-1233.  We went to a VoIP system.

http://www.amerinet.com/

Diane McKee

Howell

We recently updated from an old PBX style system to a Hybridized VOIP system
(it's a proper VOIP system using the old 2 wire cat3 wiring).

We used CTS/Unitel out of Ann Arbor as our vendor. Our contact is "Mark
Coley" <mcoley at cts-companies.com>, and they provide mostly a Toshiba based
system that we're very happy with.

We didn't need a lot of bells and whistles either, and while going through
the process, we were offered ALL the bells and whistles. It made sorting out
the companies we talked to very easy, as some wanted (even demanded that we
needed the bells and whistles to be "modern") to sell us full scale service
contractors (any problem? Call us! We'll fix it, and then we'll bill you.)

We have caller ID, holds, 4 lines for 27 phones, it will send messages via
email when a voice mail is received (easy to use WAV files), as well as do
normal voice mail. The menu system is easy to configure and CTS offered to
set us up with a fairly reasonable service plan (but we've chosen to go with
the pay per issue service). The only "downside" is we'd like a little more
flexibility to the auto-close and holiday functionality.

Other vendors we spoke with were:
CCI Solutions - "Michael Weatherly" <mike.weatherly at cci4solutions.com>
Clear Rate - "Bethany Wurtsmith" <bwurtsmith at clearrate.com>
Premises Systems - "Jonathan Jarvis" <jjarvis at PREMSYS.NET>
SunTel Systems - "Charlie D Mitchell" <CharlieMitchell at Suntel.com>
TDS Metrocom - "Shellee Corwin" <shellee.corwin at tdsmetro.com>

Unknown if any of these are still at their respective companies, but they
were all very strong companies with a lot to like. We spent awhile choosing
which company to go with.

Lastly, as I'm sure you're aware, TLN is working on a rather large VOIP
solution with multiple vendors, and it would be worth contact Angie
Michelini (amichelini at tln.lib.mi.us) if you haven't already to ask for more
details on what they're working on. She noted at the TLN Tech Comm meeting
today that they expect to do a VOIP demo very soon with a chosen or several
identified vendors.
Michael McEvoy

Northville

We haven't done it yet, but have been talking with a gentleman that I trust
implicitly when it comes to any IT matters who is not installing Internet
based phone systems.  His name is Ben Hahaj and his company is called
Priority Computer.  He can be reached via e-mail or phone.  He has two
e-mail addresses:  ben at pcs4you.com and ben at prioritycomputer.biz.  Phone and
address:  6561 Lonewolf Drive, South Bend, IN 46628, (574) 236-5979.  I'm
not sure how far Ben strays from home, but you could check with him.  Again,
we haven't gone to his phone system yet, but as soon as we can, we intend
to.  Ben has done a significant amount of IT work for us and he is great.

Jennifer Ray

Cass District Library

We received bids from 9 VoIP vendors.  We are in the process of reviewing
the bids.

Since your library is on cable, I have a few questions.  Is your Charter
cable connection on a business connection vs. residential?  What is your
download/upload speed?  Since VoIP works over the internet, the connection
speed is very important as well as the stability and reliability of the
connection.

Most of the libraries that are interested in the TLN VoIP solution are on
our wide area network and have fiber connections with guaranteed bandwidth
speeds.

One suggestion is for you to call Charter.  I believe they offer phone
services.  I think Northfield Township Library has been using them for phone
service.  You may wish to call Zaley Nelson or Marion Beard at that library
and ask them about it.  Their number is 734.449.0066.

Thanks,

Angie Michelini
Technology Services Manager
The Library Network

[In 2002 we had phone system bids from Allied Communications (the low at
$20,262 and next highest was a little over $2,000 more), REH Associates,
Communications Technologies, Suntel, Technology Solutions, CTS Unitel, BSB
Communications, ITI, RN Communications and All-Tronics (the high at
$39,201.03) I do still have the Request for Bid document, although i know
that technology has changed ]

For this round we had considered working with Bill Craig at Convergent
Technology Partners (http://www.ctpartners.net/), but not quite ready to go
that route.

Our Township is looking to establish a local phone system, just installed a
system with Dynamic Enterprise Solutions. (BearHall is the guy's name,
http://www.desi-us.com/)

Milford Library put in a new phone system last year. From Technology
Solutions , I think.

Also, I see that Katie Page, Technical Services Coordinator at Plymouth
District Library, had posted a MichLib query re: RFP for phone system in
January of 2015 - she may have garnered some info?

 --- jude halloran, Highland Library

We're using some erate money to upgrade our system.  We're going with s VOIP
Shoetel (sp?)  system.
Christine Lind Hage, Library Director
Rochester Hills Public Library

We are facing the same issue in Ferndale. Our phones are currently part of
the city's digital system, but they are switching to a VOIP. We are
exploring options in terms of getting our own independent system, joining
the city's VOIP, or possibly joining the TLN VOIP when that becomes
available. I did receive a quote from Mary Ellen of MBM Technology Solutions
for a digital system. She can be reached at 248-597-1095. I would be happy
to receive recommendations for any other vendors as well.

Good luck!

Jessica