[Michlib-l] digitization results

Perri Saunders perri at monroe.lib.mi.us
Fri Mar 20 09:22:36 EDT 2015

Thank you all for your input!

The following is a list of the responses:

AmeriScan
50690 Rizzo Dr.
Shelby Twp, MI 48315
586-532-9995

Graphic Sciences
Madison Heights, MI
1-800-397-6620

Kent Records Management
Grand Rapids, MI
1-800-536-6681

Sanilac Computer Products
75 South Elk Street
Sandusky, MI  48471
810-648-3200
msoflin at gmail.com

OCI Yearbook Program
405-527-0833
ocirc at doc.state.ok.us

For digitizing newspapers, check with the Clarke Historical Library at Central Michigan University.  Your contact will be Frank Boles.
Le Roy G. Barnett

I have a take on digitization of obits from various newspapers. I used to be the digitization coordinator at WMUs digitization center.

 Copyright was an issue from many of the papers. They would not give us permission to scan them and put them up on the Internet. I see their point. When you scan them and 'publish' them that is seen as crossing a line. Clipping them and having them in the library is a much lesser thing than putting them online. (we think they were looking at how to get people to come to their websites instead - more visitors means more advertisers . . . ?) We are not sure.

This was 8 or more years ago. It my have been that we were helping a smaller library do the project.

Just be sure to look at it all the way through before you do all of the work and then cant put it on the web.

Even if the paper is no longer publishing, somebody, owns the rights (a parent company, descendants of the owner, etc.) Ask a copyright expert, or get permission in writing - save the paperwork that you 'did due diligence' to ask permission of the correct rights holder.

We could not get the rights and it killed the project. It is a big grey area, even if you are not doing it for a profit, it is important.

Lou Ann Morgan
Communication Coordinator
Administration, University Libraries

The best obituary index I have seen belongs to the Public Libraries of Saginaw.  I think it is a home grown program, go to the Public Libraries of Saginaw website then go to obituaries and try it out.  You can contact Trish Burns as far as who owns it and if copies are available.
John Sheridan, Vicksburg

Farmington Hills writing from alumni account (I read lists from here).
We use graphic sciences. They can microfilm too. They are used by Northville (their stuff has won prizes and they have stuff to help, I will forward the slides from that recent event from my work account. Meantime: www.northvillehistory.org<http://www.northvillehistory.org>
and http://www.scanittoday.com/
Mary Carleton

I can't say that we've made any decisions about how to progress, but we are more knowledgeable about what needs to be done BEFORE we digitize...

Have an awesome weekend!

Perri Saunders, Director
White Pigeon Township Library
102 N. Kalamazoo St., P.O. Box 399