[Michlib-l] E-Rate Update: New Support Services Now in Place for MI Libraries

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Thu Feb 5 15:12:26 EST 2015

Greetings Michigan libraries,

The Library of Michigan is under a new contract for E-Rate support for Michigan libraries. The new consulting model will provide all Michigan libraries access to the same E-Rate support services currently available to Michigan public schools. Those services are outlined in detail below. I will continue to do some marketing to Michlib-l and library directors but I'll save the nitty gritty details of E-Rate support information, including distribution of a weekly, Michigan-specific newsletter from E-Rate Central, for a new list. This list is open and anyone can subscribe. If you or someone at your library would like to subscribe, please go here: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/subscriber/topics. Your E-Rate consultant is also welcome to join.

The new contract for E-Rate support is through the Technology Readiness Infrastructure Grant (TRIG) E-Rate activity via the Michigan Department of Education. TRIG has hired E-Rate Central as the primary providers of support and we will now have their resources behind us.

Our contract with Linda Schatz of EdTech Strategies, through which individual libraries receive support via their co-op directors, will be in place until March 31, 2015.

Here are some things you can count on now:

Help Desk

* This email address should be used as a go-to help desk for critical E-Rate questions: eratesupport at 22itrig.org<mailto:eratesupport at 22itrig.org>.

PIA Support

During the E-Rate PIA process, E-Rate Central is available to assist the applicant (library personnel or the library's E-Rate consultant) with:

* clarification should you not understand what PIA is requesting

* guidance regarding a delay or complication with the PIA process or a PIA reviewer

* assistance in the event your application funding is at risk

Please follow this guidance whenever dealing with PIA:

* Attempt to provide all responses to PIA clearly and concisely in writing (via email) with as little elaboration as necessary to answer PIA's specific question(s)

* Use caution when speaking with a PIA reviewer as both what you say may negatively impact your application

* Notify PIA and request an extension in writing if you are unable to provide a complete response in the time PIA has allotted

Please use the help desk email to contact E-Rate Central for PIA issues:eratesupport at 22itrig.org.

Webinars

We are currently in the middle of a four webinar set about the changes to E-Rate and the Form 471. You can view the ones that have already taken place and we hope you will but even more importantly, please respond to E-Rate Central's surveys about what you want to hear about regarding the Form 471<http://22itrig.org/activities/activity-one-a/e-rate-20/webinars/>. The webinars will be based on your feedback.

Weekly E-Rate Newsletter with Michigan-Specific Information

* Will be sent out on this listserv. The feedback of the library community is specifically requested to help make this newsletter what we need it to be.

Online Bid Evaluation System

* As a goal of the TRIG E-rate Activity, (to simplify and assure the competitive bidding process rules are followed), we are working to meet the needs of the E-rate applicants in the State of Michigan. In addition, we have constructed this tool to facilitate applicant use of our statewide RFP bid efforts, particularly in regards to Internet Access and broadband connectivity.

* These bid results are available automatically as bids to be evaluated when the the E-rate Statewide Form 470 is selected within the tool. This will reduce the effort of the applicant to include these bid results in the local vendor selection process.

* Includes short, easy-to-understand videos of how the system works.

Statewide Bids That My Library Can Take Advantage Of

* Looking for statewide bids that have already been conducted and you can simply buy off of and receive your E-Rate discount? Yes, we have those, too.

Website for E-Rate Reference Materials

* This website can be accessed for all program support materials: http://22itrig.org/activities/activity-one-a/

Additional Resources You May Want to Be Aware Of:

TRIG E-Rate Activity: http://22itrig.org/activities/activity-one-a/

TRIG E-Rate 2.0 Documents: http://22itrig.org/activities/activity-one-a/e-rate-20/

TRIG E-Rate Webinars: http://22itrig.org/activities/activity-one-a/e-rate-20/webinars/

USAC Schools & Libraries: www.usac.org/sl

E-Rate Modernization Order, Relevant News Briefs and Online Filing videos: http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/modernization-order/default.aspx

E-Rate Central: www.e-ratecentral.com

Applicant E-Rate History: http://e-ratecentral.com/us/stateInformation.asp?state=MI (enter applicant BEN in upper left)

Please join me in welcoming TRIG and E-Rate Central to Michigan's library E-Rate support network!

Sonya Schryer Norris

Library Consultant and Plinkit Coordinator

http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan

http://www.mel.org

http://www.michlibrary.org