[Michlib-l] Reorganization of Children/Adult DVD Collections

Kathie Brown Kathie.Brown at FarmLib.org
Fri Apr 17 10:21:09 EDT 2015

We have set up collections codes for Adult DVDs and placed spine labels stating the collection and first word of the title or Dewey number on the case.  For our Foreign Language films we also place the language on the spine and shelve them according to language.  We’ve got collection codes for our Children’s DVDs with the spine label stating the collection but a big single first letter of the title.  Our Children’s Teach Me DVDs are labelled by Dewey number.

Adult collections:  Animation, Business/Career, Classics, Comedy, Community, Computers, Cooking, Documentary, Drama, Exercise, Family, Foreign, Health, History, Home & Garden, Language, Musical, Parenting (house in children’s with Teacher/Parenting books) Science & Nature, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Sports, The Arts, Travel, TV Series and Western.

Children’s collections: Animation, Disney, Fairy Tales, Holiday, Preschool, Sesame Street, Sing-a-long, Stories and Teach Me

Kathie Brown
Coordinator of Automation Services
Farmington Community Library
Farmington Branch / Farmington Hills Main
248.848.4316
248.553.3228 Fax
kathie.brown at farmlib.org<mailto:kathie.brown at farmlib.org>

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
** Marcus Tullius Cicero **

From: michlib-l-bounces at mcls.org [mailto:michlib-l-bounces at mcls.org] On Behalf Of Patricia Braden
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 10:04 AM
To: Jaema Berman
Cc: michlib-l
Subject: Re: [Michlib-l] Reorganization of Children/Adult DVD Collections

Jaema,

We recently reorganized our DVD collection. We now have them grouped by TV Series, Family, Adult, Non-Fiction and Juvenile. We put spine stickers on them to identify what part of the collection they belong to. Juvenile DVDs include mostly animated shows like Dora, Elmo and Bob the Builder. Full length movies are in the Family section and are G and PG. All PG-13 and R movies are in the Adult section. We found that we had to make a judgment call on non-rated DVDs. Take a look at the "slider" on the main page of our website for a photo of our new Family section.

Patty
Patty Braden
Library Director
Romulus Public Library<http://www.romulus.lib.mi.us/>