[Michlib-l] Voice Your Opinion About Enhancing Cultural Sites & We Added a New Workshop to Our Lineup

HSM Web hsmweb at hsmichigan.org
Tue May 20 16:14:44 EDT 2014

May 20, 2014

Voice Your Opinion About Enhancing Our Historic and Cultural Sites

Please take a few minutes to answer the eight questions on the Survey Monkey
questionnaire at  <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SWTX2QB>
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SWTX2QB.

In September 2012, the Michigan State Parks and Outdoor Recreation Blue
Ribbon Panel submitted a report to Governor Rick Snyder that included
heritage resources in its vision for a vibrant system of parks, trails and
recreation throughout our state. The first paragraph reads:

"Michigan's natural resources are the foundation of a world-class parks and
outdoor recreation system. The state's abundant, high-quality, and-in many
instances-globally unique natural, cultural, historic and prehistoric
resources include the Great Lakes and beaches, inland lakes and streams,
grass lands, forests, and historic and cultural sites (such as battlefields,
lighthouses, ancient burial grounds and birthplaces of notable Michigan
residents). These must be protected and enhanced to grow Michigan's economy
and improve the well-being of our residents and visitors."

Last year, an ad hoc group of regional and statewide heritage organization
leaders was convened by the Michigan Historical Commission, the Historical
Society of Michigan and the Michigan Historical Center, calling itself the
Michigan Heritage Leadership Council. It began meeting to discuss ways our
sector can contribute to the vision set out by this report. One avenue is to
increase the incorporation of cultural heritage resources into trails and
parks. A first step toward achieving this goal is to get a better handle on
what is already going on across the state.

This is where you come in.

Please take a few minutes to answer the eight questions on the Survey Monkey
questionnaire at  <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SWTX2QB>
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SWTX2QB. The survey also gives you an
opportunity to indicate interest in working on this goal in your part of the
state.

For more information on the Michigan Heritage Leadership Council's thinking,
see  <http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-54463-325084--,00.html>
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-54463-325084--,00.html.

To find the full report Outdoor Recreation Blue Ribbon Panel visit
<http://pscinc.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ZHl-PRDlZ-U%3d&tabid=65>
http://pscinc.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ZHl-PRDlZ-U%3d&tabid=65

Thanks for your help!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

A New Workshop Has Just Been Added to Our Lineup.
Basic Film Preservation
Friday, July 25

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> To learn more about this
new workshop or learn about the other workshops that we offer, please visit
our website at www.hsmichigan.org.

  _____

Seeking Nominations for the State History Awards

Each year, the Historical Society of Michigan presents State History Awards
to individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to
the appreciation and understanding of Michigan history.

The awards are presented at the annual State History Conference and
recognize the excellence of achievement by an individual or organization in
the collection, preservation, and/or promotion of state and local history.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2014-State-History-Awa
rd-Nomination.pdf> To nominate an individual or organization for a State
History Award, please complete and submit the 2014 State History Award
Nomination Form.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.