[Michlib-l] Old/Historic Library Buildings & Addition Ideas

Mary Ferguson mferguson at northfieldtownshiplibrary.com
Thu Jan 30 14:36:28 EST 2014

Hello all,

The Northfield Township Area Library resides in a large, 150-plus year old
house that is just not quite large enough anymore, so we are in the
preliminary stages of planning to build an addition.

The house is not designated as an historic building, but is a popular and
beloved landmark in the community, so tearing it down and building a new
structure is not an option.  Our goal is to find a way to build an addition
that somewhat maintains the architectural aesthetics, yet gives us more
room for books, Internet computers, a teen area, study space, etc.

The building committee would like to schedule some visits to similar
libraries that have successfully added on to their old and/or historic
buildings (preferably in the SE quadrant of the lower peninsula), to get
some ideas, and would very much appreciate it if anyone could recommend
libraries we could contact to do so.

Thanks!

Mary Ferguson, Collection & ILL Mgr.
Northfield Township Area Library