[Michlib-l] A Fund Raising Question for Public Library Directors

Kay Schwartz kschwartz at fpl.info
Wed Jan 15 12:54:14 EST 2014

Hi, Frederick,

It is not a conflict of interest for the library staff to raise money to
benefit library operations - libraries apply for grants all the time,
and it's the same thing to ask a corporation or an individual or a
charity for money. In fact, it is part of our jobs - and should be in
the Director's job description - to obtain funding for the library.
There are specific statutory prohibitions with respect to millage
campaign activities, of course, but outside of that, fundraising is more
than OK.

(We confirmed this with our attorneys before hiring a Director of
Development in 2012, but it's a legal opinion I can't share with others.
If you're concerned, have your attorney give an opinion.)

Kay Schwartz

Director

Flint Public Library, 1026 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48502

Phone: 810-249-2038

Fax: 810-249-2633