[Michlib-l] A Fund Raising Question for Public Library Directors

Frederick J. Kirby libraryfjk at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 14:53:12 EST 2014

 Hello All,

My library board is considering a fund raising strategy for operating capital due to severe declines in our tax revenues.

A question has arisen about the participation of the Library Director and/or other staff members in soliciting operating funds from private donors.

Is it a conflict of interest for the Director and/or staff members to ask corporations, foundations, and the general public for operating funds? Since we are paid out of operating funds, is this a conflict of interest?

Any experience or insight about this issue would be sincerely appreciated.

Frederick J. Kirby, Library Director
Benton Harbor Public Library
213 East Wall St.
Benton Harbor, MI 49022