[Michlib-l] Supervised visits policies

Kelaine Mish chimp1cards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 10:19:43 EST 2014

Hi Perri,

Perhaps you might provide a box/bin of appropriate activity materials the
families can use in the library... card games/board games, puzzles,
coloring sheets/crayons, puppets, legos/duplos, and the like.  If funds are
an issue, we have posted up a sign asking for these types of materials, and
raided our personal toy bins.

We post up a couple signs saying that these materials are available for use
and to ask at the desk for the bin...no card required.

We also post signs that say, "Clean up and get a sticker at the desk".
It's amazing how much less messy the children's play area became after the
sticker "bribe".  And sticker assortments come from Oriental Trading for
pennies or we also use the ones that come tucked into the occasional
purchased Disney or movie themed kids books and magazines.  We also had our
friends give us money to print up some, "I visited the library today"
stickers with a pic of our mascot.  What a great way to advertise your
services to others who might not usually visit your facility.

If snacking is an issue, do you have an area that is or could be set aside
for food and drinks?  We actually allow (and provide) snacks and covered
drinks in our branches.  That being said, we also purchased a dust buster
for unfortunate occurrences.  You might find your regular patrons
appreciate this as well.

How encouraging for your library that you can provide this opportunity for
struggling families and brighten their day.

Enjoy the holidays,
Kelaine Mish
East Grand Rapids branch
Kent District Library

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Perri Saunders <perri at monroe.lib.mi.us>
wrote:

>  Supervised visits are becoming more and more frequent at our library,
> and with them come people that don't normally use the library, and don't
> know what behavior is expected.
>
>  Do any of you have specific policies for supervised visits, or have
> hand-outs to give parents and social workers?  We have discovered
> finger-painting and clay work, along with lots of snacks happening in our
> kids room - plus general mayhem and messes.
>
>  We have patron behavior policies, but it would be nice to have something
> specific to this situation.
>
>  Thanks for any help you can give!
>
>  Happy Holidays!
>
>   *Perri Saunders,* *Director*
> *White Pigeon Township Library*
> *102 N. Kalamazoo St., P.O. Box 399*
> *White Pigeon, MI   49099*
> *Phone  269.483.7409 <269.483.7409>*
> *Fax  269.483.9923 <269.483.9923>*
> *perri at monroe.lib.mi.us* <perri at monroe.lib.mi.us>
>

> *Brighten the corner where you are.*

Galatians 5:22-6:10  (with some creative control)
The harvest of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, fidelity, gentleness, and self-control.....so let us never tire
of doing good, for if we do not slacken our efforts we shall in due time
reap our harvest.  Therefore, as opportunity offers, let us work for the
good of all....