[Michlib-l] DVD Collection

Jessica Wilhoite jwilhoite at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Dec 5 13:08:52 EST 2014

Hi all,

Here, at Romulus, we currently have a Juvenile and an Adult DVD collection. We are finding that we have a great deal of family movies and are currently splitting them between the Juvenile and Adult collections, based on their content - i.e. Harry Potter is in the Adult collection and The Mighty Ducks are in the kids collection. We are trying to figure out the best place for them.

How do other libraries categorize their DVD collections? Do you go by ratings? Do you go by where the majority of other libraries house theirs? Do you keep your kids collection strictly to cartoons and everything else goes into the Adult collection? Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

I am interested in hearing what bigger libraries do, but I would really like to hear from smaller libraries (like us) who do not have tons of space for many separate DVD collections.

Thanks in advance and if anyone else wants the information I can send it to you after I pull all of the responses together.

--
Jessica Wilhoite
Youth Librarian