[Michlib-l] Library cards scanned into phones

Kelli Perkins kperkins at herrickdl.org
Wed Sep 18 14:32:09 EDT 2013

We've had this discussion earlier this year and it comes up now and again.

A barcode represents a number. The unique number is the thing which creates the patron record. There is nothing special about the barcode, or a qr code. It's just a way to display a number.

For our institution, you can key in your number at the self check. The thing you must have is the card number and your pin number. Whether you write it on a sticky note, have it scanned in your phone app or have the original card does not matter to us.

If you provide a self check and allow people to key in their numbers, it stands to reason that you would extend them the courtesy of having their cards scanned into a convenient app. I have all of my loyalty and barcode cards in the Keyring app.

Kelli Perkins
Head of Reference Services
Herrick District Library
300 S River Ave, Holland MI 49423
616.355.3718
kperkins at herrickdl.org

Reading: "Wool" by Hugh Howey
Reading: "The Proving Ground" by Bruce Knecht