[Michlib-l] Library cards scanned into phones

Marth Lee mlee at orionlibrary.org
Wed Sep 18 13:49:21 EDT 2013

Collective Wisdom,
      Do you accept library cards scanned into a phone to check
materials out from your library?  If so, do you require additional ID or
do you have a library ap to use with the scanned card?  What are the
pros and cons of accepting or rejecting scanned library cards?
Currently we only accept a library card or personal ID (such as a
driver's license or student ID) for checking out materials.  We have not
accepted scanned library cards, but are considering it.  I have followed
arguments for and against, and am wondering how common the acceptance of
scanned cards is in Michigan.

Thank you for your input!

Martha Lee
Head of Support Services