[Michlib-l] Series books question

Francine J. Allen fallen at lincoln-park.lib.mi.us
Mon Sep 9 22:13:22 EDT 2013

I shelve youth and teen series inter-filed with other fiction books.  If a series is written by a variety of authors (eg. "American Girls"  "39 Clues" then I shelve it by title instead of author.  Otherwise it's by author.)  In deciding whether something belongs with graphic novels (which are shelved in separate sections from fiction in both the youth and teen areas) I consider proportion of narration to captioned dialogue.  Thus, the "Big Nate" series finds its way into the graphic novels section for youth, whereas the "Wimpy Kid" and "Captain Underpants" series, despite having plenty of cartoon illustrations, are found in regular fiction because there is a higher proportion of straight text.  This system works well for us because of the layout of our shelving (we have small separate sections for graphic novels and larger sections for regular fiction in both our youth and teen areas).  Hope this helps.

Francine Joy Allen
Youth Services Librarian
Lincoln Park Public Library
1381 Southfield Rd.