[Michlib-l] DDA and library partnerships

Val Meyerson val at charlevoixlibrary.org
Wed Oct 9 12:26:59 EDT 2013

We have a very unique relationship with our DDA as they helped secure the purchase of our property prior to a bond sale. They then made a pledge to pay $30,000 each year for 20 years to help reduce the millage rate for our new bond millage. The $30,000 is about what they capture from our millages. Now, this relationship has worked out well, until the last few years when the property values have decreased and they did not have enough money to pay their own bonds and pay their pledge.... This does not sit well with many people, but the DDA board has "stated" they will continue their pledge after their bond is paid off next year. We will see....

We also partner with the DDA to bring a children's concert to the concert in the park series in the summer. This amounts to us writing a grant to pay for the musician, and the DDA providing a lovely outdoor venue and lots of publicity.

All in all, it is hard to get dollars from them, but the director is very supportive and helps with non cash support like publicity and planning assistance.

Although I know DDA's are quite controversial, ours is here for a while, so we make the best of it and work with them when we can. They are quite supportive and seem to understand the value of the library downtown.

Val

Valerie Meyerson, Library Director
Charlevoix Public Library, MI
231.237.7360