[Michlib-l] DDA and library partnerships

Nancy Johnson n.becker.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 11:56:46 EDT 2013

Jessica -

We have an unusual story to share.

Brighton District Library sits within the Brighton DDA boundaries but we
are NOT subject to tax capture by the DDA.
We have a cordial relationship with the City of Brighton, one of the four
political units within our service area.

Although it took some time, and some politicking by members of the DDA
committee who had already made personal donations themselves, the Brighton
DDA made a $1,000 leadership level donation to the Library's $13,000 Light
the Way capital campaign to replace the 13 bollard lights at our entryway.

As Matt Modrack, the DDA exec director said, the Library is an activity
center in the community and it makes sense to help the Library keep the
community safe by donating to the lighting project.

And it didn't hurt the DDA to be included in both the radio and the
newspaper stories which followed, for the Mayor to be one of those speaking
at the lighting dedication ceremony, and to have the DDA gift noted by the
donor plaque on their "very own light".

-- Nancy

Nancy B. Johnson, Ph.D.
Director, Brighton District Library