[Michlib-l] Documentary responses

Dave Ewick dewick at southfieldlibrary.org
Tue Dec 17 11:31:28 EST 2013

Hello!  Here is a summary of the responses I received on my question
about documentaries.  Too bad more ppl didn't participate...  Happy
Holidays!  - Dave

Documentary Q&A from Michlib

Original Question: Libraries are a great place for patrons to find
fantastic documentaries.  I wanted to recommend a few documentary DVD
titles, and ask others for their recommendations.  If I can find links,
I'll add them after the title.  Everyone rushes in to us for the latest
theatrical titles, but there are some wonderful gems in the
documentaries that get over-looked and it is only through libraries that
many of them will be found.
Landfill harmonic - http://www.landfillharmonicmovie.com/
It's a Girl - http://www.itsagirlmovie.com/
Tough Guise -
http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=211
Flirting with Danger -
http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=250
The Art of Possibility -
http://www.enterprisemedia.com/product/00648/art-possibility-series/

We have a wonderful documentary collection here at KPL. I could go on
and on but here’s a short list of well-known/critically acclaimed
films:
Fog of War							  The
Imposter
Stories We Tell
Man on Wire						   Eyes on the
Prize						   Gates of Heaven
Thin Blue Line						 Tarnation
 The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Koko
   Salesman
  Grey Gardens
Food Inc.
 Central Park Five						  Jazz
Baseball
 Shoah
   Don’t Look Back
Taxi to the Darkside			    How to Survive a Plague
  Gimme Shelter
The City
  Endless Summer						   Fab
5
Harlan County, USA			    Inside Job
 For All Man Kind
Crumb
Restrepo
   Five Broken Cameras
Battle of Chile						 Hoop
Dreams							    Night and
Fog
Roger and Me

Ryan Gage, Audiovisual Selection at Kalamazoo Public Library
269-553-7844
( tel:2695537844)  | ryang at kpl.gov |

Hi Dave – What a fun idea!  My recommendations from this year:
Blackfish
 One Day on Earth						 Secrets
of Highclere Castle
The Waiting Room				  Searching for Sugarman
  I Am

Sandy Gilmore, Head of Adult Services at Oxford Public Library  (248)
628-3034
( tel:2486283034)    www.miopl.org

Saw your request for documentaries, here's a few that I liked AND
remembered.  Have an excellent holiday season.

	 Pianomania
   Helvetica
My architect: a son's journey
	 Objectified
Charles & Ray Eames, pioneers of Mid-Century Modernism
	 The Radiant Son: Designer Ruth Adler-Schnee

Laurie Penn, Southfield Public Library (emeritus)

Dave--  Have you ever checked out www.facets.org? I used the company
when I was a school librarian in my former life, and it's tremendous.
Lots of hard-to-find films, and a vast collection of them.

Melissa Malcolm at Lapeer PL   melissa at lib.lapeer.org
What a great idea! I've been trying to add to our documentaries for a
while -- I did a display a little over a year ago, and it was the
fastest-moving display I've ever put together here at Belleville. I
don't have a very scientific method of searching for documentaries -- I
just peruse the New Nonfiction DVDs on Midwest Tape's website. I'd be
very interested to hear what other people have to say on this topic.

Two titles that our patrons have really enjoyed in the past couple of
years are First Position and One Lucky Elephant.

Hilary Savage, Adult Services Librarian at Belleville Area District
Library	 (734) 699-3291
( tel:7346993291)

Here’s an article from 2010 by Robert Sullivan on the top
Motivational/Training DVDs.   (from Dave)

I. Celebrate What's Right with the World
(
http://www.trainingabc.com/xcart/Celebrate-Whats-Right-With-The-World-p-16229.html)
 - This Dewitt Jones classic may be the best-selling motivational DVD of
all time and it's worthy of this position.  No one is more passionate
than Dewitt and his enthusiasm will rub off on any audience.
Innovation, Creativity and Inspiration are the main points hit on in
this program.

2. Do Right: The Plan
( http://www.trainingabc.com/Do-Right-The-Plan-p-17549.html)  - Lou
Holtz shines in this latest of the Do Right series.  Lou is funny,
poignant and motivational throughout as he exposes his main points - be
passionate, have a positive attitude, have focus and be a dreamer.

3. Everest
( http://www.trainingabc.com/Everest-p-17661.html)  - Climbing Mt.
Everest is a remarkable accomplishment for anyone, but for Erik
Weihenmayer it's even more difficult - because he's blind!  Follow
Erik's amazing journey up Everest.  It's an inspirational story of
teamwork and will motivate any workplace to achieve beyond what they
thought was possible.

4. Get on the Right Bus with Mike "Coach K" Krzyzewski
(
http://www.trainingabc.com/Get-on-the-Right-Bus-with-Mike-Coach-K-Krzyzewski-p-17834.html)
 - Legendary Duke Coach K Shares his Philosophy of the power of words,
explores the powerful words that have motivated and inspired so many
individuals and teams, and encourages you to find the specific worlds
that will change your life and give your team the winning edge.

5. Attitude: Radiating Possibility with Ben Zander
(
http://www.trainingabc.com/Attitude-Radiating-Possibility-with-Ben-Zander-p-16920.html)
 - World-renowned conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra, Ben
Zander encourages all of us to confront our fears and embrace the world
of possibilities.  Zander is vibrant and enthusiastic as we watch him
work with his music students and speak to a corporate audience.

6. Give em the Pickle!
( http://www.trainingabc.com/Give-em-the-PICKLE-p-16231.html)  -  Even
though Give em the Pickle is primarily a customer service video, I've
included it on this list simply because so many employees work with
customers in some capacity and Bob Farrell's classic program is just so
darn motivational.  If your audience works with customers in any
capacity, this program is a must have.

7. The Star Thrower Story
( http://www.trainingabc.com/The-Star-Thrower-Story-p-17607.html)  -
Joel Barker's most classic story is now a 6 minute motivational video.
The program reminds us that we all have the ability to make a
difference. As individuals, we can choose to take action and participate
in the world around us. Together, we can shape the future.

8. Lessons From Geese
( http://www.trainingabc.com/Lessons-From-Geese-p-16917.html)  - You
wouldn't think a 2 minute video of flying geese would be so motivational
and inspiring but somehow it is.   In just 2 minutes it teaches five key
lessons about being a team player and winning as a team. It will lift
the mood and help you develop commitment to peak performance, both
within individuals and throughout teams.

9. Extraordinary
(
http://www.trainingabc.com/Extraordinary-Revised-Edition-p-17629.html)
- This new 3 minute meeting opener has quickly become one of the
best-selling meeting openers on the market.  The program asks the
questions.  Why not have passion in everything you do? Why not be
courageous? Why not have a positive attitude? Why not find beauty in
everything? Why not be a leader? A coach? A mentor? Why not do something
you've never done before? Why not dream big? Why not have conviction,
character, value? Why not attack every problem with determination? Why
not believe in yourself?

10. The Great Minds Series
( http://www.trainingabc.com/The-Great-Minds-Series-p-17447.html)  -
Inspiring quotes from some of history’s greatest minds set to dramatic
music and coupled with classic footage. Let the likes of Winston
Churchill, John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King inspire you, motivate
you and teach you through their own words, pictures and video

And here are some sources for great docs! (again, from Dave)
Collective Eye Films - http://www.collectiveeye.org/
Girl Rising – www.girlrising.com
On White Privilege – Tim Wise   http://www.timwise.org/books-and-dvds/