[Mcls-print-storage] MI-SPI 2.0 Steering Committee Update, March 2020

Stephanie Davis daviss at mcls.org
Tue Mar 10 11:55:13 EDT 2020

**sent on behalf of Barbara Cockrell, Steering Committee Chair**

Dear Colleagues,

Here is an update on the status of MI-SPI 2.0 from the MI-SPI Steering committee (Cara Cadena, Barbara Cockrell, Stephanie Davis, Helen Levenson, Amie Pifer).

  *   Stephanie sent out an e-mail to you all on 2/4/2020 with a revised timeline from OCLC showing that our data would be complied during Jan-March and shared back with us in March.
  *   Stephanie and Scott Garrison met with OCLC representatives at ALA midwinter where they requested more information about the delay to our original timeline and lobbied for our project to be prioritized.
  *   Stephanie received the following e-mail from OCLC's Lisa Adams, indicating that we should receive our group data in early April. At that time we anticipate we will start a series of bi-weekly meetings to discuss the group data.

In the meantime the Steering Committee has had meetings in November and February, including a phone call with Andy Breeding, and made the following decisions:

  *    The MI-SPI 2.0 comparator groups will be:

     *   Academic Libraries of Indiana (ALI)
     *   University of Michigan
     *   Wayne State University Main Library (in MI-SPI 2015 but not 2020)
     *   Michigan Technological University Library (in MI-SPI 2015 but not 2020)
     *   All SCS Retentions
     *   University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

  *   We discussed the option of including a special category in the analysis (e.g. regional/local items) and decided not to pursue this option, noting that any special treatment of these types of materials can be done by libraries individually.
  *   Andy suggested, and the steering committee agreed on behalf of the group, that the 2015 MI-SPI libraries should keep their existing retention agreements. It is likely that EMU and WMU (which were part of the original 2012 MI-SPI group but not part of the 2015 refresh) may transfer some of their retention commitments to others.  More discussion about how that might happen will be forthcoming with our group data.
  *   Andy asked if all MI-SPI libraries were registered in WorldCat.  We assume all libraries are but please let us know if you are not. We are also interested to hear if any of you have registered your retention commitments in WorldCat.
  *   Retention formulas for MI-SPI 2.0 will be finalized after data review by all participants, however the steering committee suggests we use the previous retention formula as a starting point. This is to retain 2 copies among the group (including libraries with existing retention commitments).
  *   Andy confirmed that there is no easy way that GreenGlass can identify and deal with unwanted earlier editions of titles in retention lists. They will need to be managed by the group instead. Amie is drafting suggested criteria to address this for group review.
  *   MI-SPI has joined the Partnership for Shared Print Programs https://sharedprint.org/  MI-SPI libraries are already employing most of the recommended best practices and guidelines.
I think that summarizes the most important information to date.  Please let us know if you have questions. We will also update you with any news.
The steering committee will meet again later in March.

Barbara

Stephanie D. Davis, M.S./M.B.A.
Manager
Group Purchasing
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
(800) 530-9019 ext 154
daviss at mcls.org<mailto:daviss at mcls.org>

[id:image001.png at 01D31B4A.897DA8C0]<https://www.facebook.com/mcls.org>     [id:image002.png at 01D31B4A.897DA8C0] <https://twitter.com/mclsorg>       [id:image003.png at 01D31B4A.897DA8C0] <http://www.mcls.org/>