[Mcls-print-storage] SCS thoughts on sharing retention lists, etc.

Doug Way wayd at gvsu.edu
Fri Mar 23 15:16:47 EDT 2012

Hi Rick,

A week later I finally have time to digest what you wrote...  I think I understand what you're saying here, but let me double-check.

The scenario that is problematic is to provide Oakland a retention list that is primarily matched against EMU, CMU and WMU, that would simultaneously allow for those schools to immediately remove items from their retention lists.  This would lead to a lot of shifting to the master lists, and the problems you lay out below.

If I remember our conversation from a few weeks ago in Lansing correctly, one of the things we had discussed was whether it would be possible to match Oakland's list against those three school's list, but that they would not be able to move those items off their retention lists UNTIL the data refresh in three years.

Essentially this would lead to three copies of books being retained in the state for a few years, but would provide those schools the promise of relief once the data is refreshed.  That would also eliminate the concern of a library joining the group early, being able to match against our data for withdrawal purposes, and not immediately having any retention responsibilities.  Theoretically a school could then weed like mad and limit the benefit of them joining to the rest of the group.

So I guess the question I have is whether this sort of interim step is possible and does it eliminate some of the problems you raise below.  If not, that is fine, I just wanted to make sure we were exploring every possibility.

BTW, nice write-up in this month's ATG.

Best,
Doug