[Mcls-print-storage] Charleston Preconference Proposal - Draft

Rick Lugg rick at sustainablecollections.com
Sun Mar 18 11:14:48 EDT 2012

Greetings from Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland. A fine view
coming in over the city this morning.

Since there is interest in pursuing the idea of a day-long preconference in
Charleston, I have taken a whack at a description, which is attached. A few
things to note:

1.       Proposals are limited to 300 words. It can't be any longer than it
already is.

2.       Proposals are due April 6th. Our chances of acceptance improve
slightly if we get it in earlier, I think.

3.       No speaker names are needed in the description. However, I will
need a tentative roster of speakers for submission with the proposal.
Libraries, MCLS, and SCS should all be represented. We can probably
accommodate 6-8 speakers, more if we incorporate some panel discussions.

4.       I've highlighted the practical nature of our work - 'making it
work' is a missing piece in all shared print monographs discussions.

5.       Are we interested in submitting a 'paper' for the conference
proceedings? I'm a bit dubious about that one, but am open to persuasion. We
have to answer that question as part of the submission process.

6.       It occurs to me that we might consider broadening participation-in
particular, it might be both politic and fruitful to invite someone from the
Maine Shared Collection project (which is focused on monographs) to join the
fun.

7.       I've introduced the acronym SPIMAL, which may or may not be the
final choice. If you all have not settled on a name in the next week or so,
we can omit it from the proposal. It might be good to have the name, though,
since this description will become the primary marketing piece for the
session.

8.       What price do we want to set? I think $150 is reasonable for an
all-day session (9-4), but we could consider lowering it to $100 if we think
that will attract more attendees. We will need to clarify whether our group
actually receives a portion of this revenue. (In the past, that has been
true.) If so, we can divide it up among the speakers to help defray travel
costs.

Please have a look - suggestions are welcome. Anyone interested in speaking
please let us know. Barbara has volunteered, and one or more of us from SCS
would like to speak. I assume Randy would like a slot. We can sort out
topics and timeframes when we begin to plan the day in earnest. For now, we
need to commit to something general enough to be flexible yet specific
enough to attract an audience. I'm hoping the attached is close.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Lugg

Sustainable Collection Services LLC