[Mcls-print-storage] Allocation numbers

Randy Dykhuis DykhuisR at mcls.org
Thu Feb 16 15:59:30 EST 2012

At the end of last week, we received data from SCS about several potential
allocation schemes. Based on conversation during our last conference call,
the preferences seemed to lean either toward an allocation distributed by
collection size or by the proportions we agreed to when we thought we had
735,000 candidates. Neither of these were perfect for everyone. This week
I spoke individually to several participants and I think with a little
rearranging, we can make this acceptable to everyone.

Barbara posted to the list that WMU would be happy with 110,000 titles on
their discard list and when I talked to Pamela, she indicated that CMU
would be willing to reduce their title list as well. Given that, here's
where we are:

CMU: 37,000 titles
EMU: 67,145 titles
GVSU: 48,228 titles
MTU: 49,177 titles
SVSU: 52,673 titles
WMU: 110,000 titles
WSU: 169,844 titles

That should add up to 534,066 titles. In addition, you all have your lists
of unique titles that will increase your possible withdrawals somewhat.

That leaves open Rick's question about how to use circulation data when
creating the title lists. Should the lists be created without regard to
where an item has circulated most? Or do we want to make sure that
libraries that have the most circulations retain the titles (or conversely
titles can be discarded in libraries that have zero circs).

The ideal is that we have both predictable target numbers, such as shown
above, and the titles on the discard lists are titles that are low use
within each library. Since those are "competing objectives" as Rick says,
my reading of the group is that you would rather have a predictable number
of titles to discard and if that means that some titles on your shelves
have zero circs you'll live with it.

Is that an accurate assessment?

Randy Dykhuis
Executive Director
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
Lansing, MI & Indianapolis, IN
Phone:  (800) 530-9019 x119
Fax:    (517) 492-3879
Cell:  (517) 927-5121