[Virtual_reference] FW: QuestionPoint Cooperative Update: October 2016

Morningstar, Jill jmorning at mail.lib.msu.edu
Mon Oct 3 19:34:50 EDT 2016

FYI

From: QP-247CoopSupers <QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG<mailto:QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG>> on behalf of "spanglew at oclc.org<mailto:spanglew at oclc.org>" <spanglew at oclc.org<mailto:spanglew at oclc.org>>
Date: Monday, October 3, 2016 at 7:26 PM
To: "QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG<mailto:QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG>" <QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG<mailto:QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG>>
Subject: QuestionPoint Cooperative Update: October 2016

Dear Cooperative Librarians,

As we embark upon our busiest months of the year, I thought it would be a good time to provide you with this update about our Cooperative!

1.    Instructor-led QuestionPoint training opportunities for administrators and librarians
a)    Administrators: three separate 1 ½ hour courses starting this week
04 October 2016  2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
QuestionPoint Administration 1: Start Your QuestionPoint Service

05 October 2016  2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
QuestionPoint Administration 2 - Define Your Institution Profile and Policy Page

06 October 2016  2:00 PM – 3:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, North America [UTC -4]
QuestionPoint Administration 3 – Generate and Interpret Reports
b)    Librarians: four separate courses starting the first week of November
QuestionPoint Librarian 1 – QuestionPoint Overview and E-mail Reference

QuestionPoint Librarian 2 – Use Chat in QuestionPoint

QuestionPoint Librarian 3 – Chat Follow-up, Referrals, and Manage Questions

QuestionPoint Librarian 4 – Create Personal Scripts and use IM & Transfer

2.    New Libraries
a)    SCONUL
The Society of College, National and University Libraries (SCONUL) announced a new agreement for the provision of collaborative after-hours virtual reference services in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The agreement is based on the successful initial pilot and now, established service, run with the Northern Collaboration consortium of libraries. To date, 33 universities have signed up to use QuestionPoint as part of the SCONUL agreement. The group will be supported by the global QuestionPoint 24/7 reference cooperative, complemented by OCLC-employed 24/7 librarians. Please join me in welcoming the SCONUL libraries to the Academic Cooperative!

b)    Answerland
As mentioned in the last Cooperative Update, the Answerland partner libraries in Oregon have now joined the 24/7 Reference Cooperative. The official "go live" date for the Answerland libraries is 10 October 2016.

3.    Policy Reminders
a)    Cooperative Policy 5.2: Followup<http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#52Followup>
Local librarians can only send followup responses to patrons if the patron has provided contact information. If the patron requests an email response, please verify (or obtain) the patron's email address before coding the question as "Follow Up by Patron's Library." If the patron did not leave an email, code the session as Answered. (If the need for followup seems likely due to the nature of the question, it is best to obtain or verify the patron's email address as soon as possible.)

b)    Cooperative Policy 7.2: Staffing the Service<http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#72StaffingtheService>
Thank you to the librarians who have reported to me when Cooperative librarians have not been joining chat sessions during their scheduled shifts. One way we can reduce this occurrence is to ensure that librarians are not scheduled for Cooperative coverage shifts when they are concurrently staffing in-person or telephone reference desks. When librarians are staffing their Cooperative coverage hours, Cooperative Policy 7.2 states that joining chat sessions is the first priority. I understand that some libraries in our Cooperative have unique situations (e.g. rural libraries with a solo librarian), so if there are extenuating circumstances regarding concurrent staffing, just contact me and I will be happy to work with you to find a mutually beneficial arrangement.

4.    Staffing
a)    Balancing our Cooperative Schedule
I appreciate that many librarians have graciously adjusted their permanent shifts to help balance our Cooperative schedule. I'd like to give special recognition to Zachary Grant (Clark College, Ask-WA) for trading one overstaffed hour for not one, but two hours that needed additional coverage!

b)    Videos illustrating basic functions within ShiftPlanning's new Humanity interface
Nono Burling has created brief training videos for the Ask-WA librarians, explaining how to access the basic functions of our scheduling tool. These videos might be helpful to other Cooperative librarians as well, so I've posted them on our "Tips and Tricks" page in the Wiki:
http://oc.lc/QPWikiTips

c)    Permanently scheduled shifts vs. temporary shift replacements
Many academic librarians have consulted the Wiki<http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839419/247%20Additional%20Coverage%20Needed> and have chosen red, yellow, or blue hours for regularly scheduled shifts. It is very helpful that you are focusing on the hours that need additional coverage whenever you need to permanently change your shift times!

We are grateful to all the librarians who have been using our scheduling tool to let us know when they temporarily cannot work their shifts and have been using the tool to click the "Request to Work" button next to the replacement shifts that they want to take. These processes have helped us balance our Cooperative's schedule and maximize our staffing resources.

5.    Best Practices for Database Access
Thank you to all who responded to the database access survey! The members of the work group have reviewed the responses and are in the process of crafting a document which will be shared with the Cooperative.

6.    Listserv discussion
Over the past few months, we have had some excellent posts to our listserv by our colleagues in our Cooperative. Thank you for using our listserv to share information, elicit feedback, and generate discussion! Please continue to do so, knowing that it is through our shared collaboration that we are able to strengthen our Cooperative and provide the best service possible to our patrons.

Thank you for your continued support of QuestionPoint's 24/7 Reference Cooperative!

Regards,
Wren

--

Wren Spangler
OCLC · QuestionPoint Cooperative Coordinator

<http://www.oclc.org/home.en.html?cmpid=emailsig_link>OCLC.org<http://www.oclc.org/home.en.html?cmpid=emailsig_link>· Blog<http://www.oclc.org/blog/main/?cmpid=emailsig_blog> · Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/OCLC/20530435726> · Twitter<http://twitter.com/oclc> · YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/OCLCvideo>