[Virtual_reference] FW: 'Clearing' in the UK

McCarthy, Sandy mccarthy at wccnet.edu
Tue Aug 16 12:17:29 EDT 2016

FYI

Sandy McCarthy

Get help with your research from Research Help Now<http://www.researchhelpnow.org>!
________________________________
From: QP-247CoopSupers [QP-247COOPSUPER-L at oclc.org] on behalf of Sandra Clark [Sandra.Clark at UWE.AC.UK]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 11:29 AM
To: QP-247COOPSUPER-L at oclc.org
Subject: 'Clearing' in the UK

Hi Co-op librarians,

I’m based at UWE, Bristol here in (remarkably!) sunny England.

Last night we had a chat from a student asking about applying to the university and it made me realise those of you in the US might not be aware that we’re currently in the process of ‘clearing’ here in the UK.

Clearing is where students get their A level results (our equivalent of SATs)  and then contact universities if they did not get sufficient marks to get into their first choice university (or maybe they didn’t apply) conversely it’s a chance for universities to recruit to courses that maybe didn’t have a high number of applicants.  Anyway I just wanted to let you guys know that you may come across questions about applying to uni, clearing, more questions about specific courses etc when chatting with UK students.

It would be great if you could either direct students to any clearing information on the main university webpage (Ours is here http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/study/clearing) or take contact details so we can get back to the student with relevant information.  It would be good to have the person’s name, email and phone and any info about the course/s they were interested in.

Thank you so much for continuing to provide my students with such great help.  Please let me know if you have any questions – I’ll be happy to assist.

Best wishes,

Sandra

Sandra Clark
Enquiry and Disability Librarian
University of the West of England
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol
BS16 1QY
0117 32 82477
sandra.clark at uwe.ac.uk<mailto:sandra.clark at uwe.ac.uk>
Follow the Library on Twitter and Facebook<http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/library/information/followthelibrary.aspx>

My normal working pattern: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30 – 5; Friday 8:30 – 4:30