[Virtual_reference] FW: persistent homework help patron from Essex

McCarthy, Sandy mccarthy at wccnet.edu
Mon Mar 17 08:58:09 EDT 2014

FYI

Sandy

Got a question?    Research Help Now<http://www.researchhelpnow.org/> !

From: QP-247CoopSupers [mailto:QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG] On Behalf Of McGlamery,Susan
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:20 AM
To: QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG
Subject: persistent homework help patron from Essex

Dear Coop librarians,

Deb Davis of Essex County Council in the UK has informed me of a persistent patron from Slough (also in the UK).  This patron appears to be a school child who has been coming into the service via the Essex queue for the past couple of months, sometimes as often as 15 chats over the course of the evening.   He usually provides an email (Darwin at slough.com<mailto:Darwin at slough.com>) but it bounces when Essex sent him a followup response to one of his questions. Deb tells me she been quite impressed with some of the Coop librarians' refusal to help him when he is rude!  Therefore, if you see Darwin or any other persistent or rude patron, just follow the persistent patron policy: http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#454Persistentrepeatpatrons

As a reminder, we have a Homework Help policy as well, as follows:

"It is appropriate to guide students to resources that will help them with their homework, without actually doing the homework for the students (the same principles that apply in traditional reference). Many libraries have scripted messages specifically for homework help, which contain information on the homework services available at their library.  Check the library's policy page under "Tutoring/Homework Assistance" to see what homework help services (such as Tutor.com) the library offers.  The library's scripted messages may also provide referral information.  The "Research Guides" and "Assignments" fields in the policy pages may also contain links to resources that can help address homework or class assignment questions. If the student becomes rude or only asks nonsensical questions, follow the procedures for Rude Patrons, supra."
http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#452HomeworkHelp

Thanks to all for your assistance!

Regards,
Susan