[Virtual_reference] FW: Coop news: Quality tip and happy holidays!

McCarthy, Sandy mccarthy at wccnet.edu
Thu Dec 20 11:45:59 EST 2012

Hi Everyone,
See below.

Sandy

Got a question?    Research Help Now<http://www.researchhelpnow.org/> !

From: QP-247CoopSupers [mailto:QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG] On Behalf Of McGlamery,Susan
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:03 AM
To: QP-247COOPSUPER-L at OCLC.ORG
Subject: Coop news: Quality tip and happy holidays!

Dear Cooperative librarians,

A few items for your consideration:

With the year drawing to a close, we've had the return of some of our persistent chatters.  Since this has been a long-standing issue, we've developed a policy for persistent patrons - you can find it in Section 4.5.4 of the 24/7 Reference Policies, available in the QP wiki:  http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#454Persistentrepeatpatrons

I've posted a Quality Tip related to a recent session with one persistent patron.  In this case, the librarian suspected the patron wasn't asking real questions. In this case, the patron admitted he was chatting with the librarian because he was bored.  See  http://questionpoint.blogs.com/questionpoint_247_referen/2012/12/quality-tip-dealing-with-the-lonely-chatter.html

If you come across a repeat patron, be sure and add a librarian note that the patron is a persistent patron.  This alerts the "home" library, and sometimes the library can reach out to their patron, with recommended community resources.  Delaware now has a script for their current repeat patron.  Cathay Crosby, the coordinator, says she hopes this "helps librarians not spend a lot of time with him on questions that have already been answered".  Delaware librarians have discusssed this person, not only to communicate what is going on and unify their approach in working with him, but also to share ideas.

If anyone has an approach that seems to work, please email the list.  I want to be mindful of patron privacy, but sometimes sharing experiences of what works and what doesn't can really help. On the other hand, what works in one situation may not be any help at all with another person!

On another topic, we're almost done with 2012, which means the Quality team will soon be tabulating the Top 10 Quality Comments of 2012!  If you'd like to pass along a compliment regarding a nice session, please do send it to Quality - we love passing along compliments to you, the hard-working Cooperative librarians!  And, if you receive a compliment from anyone, you can forward that to Quality too.  If the compliment is sent to you via email, just forward the email - along with the Question ID number - to qpquality at gmail.com<mailto:qpquality at gmail.com>.  We always note the number of compliments as well as complaints, and it's nice to see that compliments are invariably in the top 10!

Hope you all have a festive and joyful holiday season and here's wishing everyone a very happy new year!

Best wishes,
Susan

Susan McGlamery
QuestionPoint product manager