[Michlib-l] Wonder Media is LIVE! A News/Media Literacy website for libraries and educators

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri Mar 29 08:57:43 EDT 2024

Wonder Media<https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/>
The Library of Michigan is proud to announce, in partnership with Western Michigan University, the new Wonder Media<https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/> website for News and Media Literacy!
The website is a digital version of the successful two-year run of the Wonder Media: Ask the Questions! interactive exhibition at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum (KVM) in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The exhibition was a joint project of Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo Valley Community College. The website is brought to you by a generous grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Western Michigan University, and the Library of Michigan.

Our project team has worked with public library staff from a variety of districts to create a usable, accessible and interesting toolkit<https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/home#toolkit> on media literacy and news media literacy. The materials are aimed at middle school users, ages 11-14, but many of the online games, videos and program ideas are suitable for ages 10 and older. In this media and news literacy toolkit, you'll find ready-made worksheets, programming ideas, do-it-yourself escape kits and extension activities. See the Resources <https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/resources/> page for ready-made worksheets, programming ideas, do-it-yourself escape kits and extension activities. This site is continually updating its resources to better serve you, our users! You'll find activities that accompany contents on the Wonder Media Library website, as well as detailed lesson plans. Suggestions of books, articles, other websites and online materials to assist you in growing your media literacy and news media literacy are also included.

We would like to thank specifically the following libraries for being such an important part of the cohort. They spent time touring the original exhibit at KVM, brainstorming how to transition it into interactive, hands-on library programming, and drafting and finalizing said programs for the website.  This cohort is now taking the time and energy to enact these programs and their feedback will continue to shape the resources:
Bay County Library System
Grand Rapids Public Library
Kalamazoo Public Library
Petoskey District Library
Rochester Hills Public Library
Traverse Area Public Schools' Library
Ypsilanti Public Library
And the Maryland State Library Agency

But that's not all! YOU, too, can help to shape Wonder Media resources! Feel free to make use of the toolkit<https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/home#toolkit> and resources<https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/resources/> and then provide librarian feedback<https://wmich.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8wZMeu2OiPMuCzk> to our Wonder Media partners. If you use the site with students/patrons, feel free to ask them to fill out this survey for users<https://wmich.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_74bw6pkkyDsgk4K>, as we'd love their feedback, too.
Stay tuned for trainings and more resources from the Library of Michigan on Wonder Media<https://www.wondermedialibrary.com/>.

This program is supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Thank you,
Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan