[Michlib-l] Parking Lot Expectations

Bret Boulter bboulter at tadl.org
Thu Feb 29 15:03:45 EST 2024

We have a back loop for our parking lot that is intended for staff, but the
public is not prohibited there. We do have "library only" signs, and since
we're adjacent to a popular park and walking trail, our signs have some
additional language about those (photo attached). Last summer the overnight
parking was starting to be a problem, but the local towing company wouldn't
tow someone from our lot until we had signs posted at our parking lot
entries, indicating no overnight parking under threat of towing, with the
towing company and their phone number listed.

I have those signs but didn't get them in before the ground froze, so
they're waiting until better weather. In the meantime, this winter we
haven't had any problems with overnighters, and we don't patrol to be sure
people aren't parking in our lot and heading over to the park/trail (I know
some are doing it, and while we have an extremely busy parking lot, they
use a corner that is the last to fill up anyway).

I hope that helps!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:38 PM Mark Morton via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> We are a small town with a very large summer tourist population. Our
> parking lot gets used by people that are not using the library (and
> neighboring museum) much to our consternation. We don't have the staff to
> "patrol" the parking lot to determine where people are going after they
> park, so we purchased library parking signs (picture attached) which seems
> to have helped somewhat in making visitors aware, and they do get a chuckle.
> Mark
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:18 PM Cierra Bakovka via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For those of you that own/manage your parking lot - do you have any rules
>> or expectations (ex: library parking only, staff parking areas, etc)? If
>> so, what are they? We recently acquired our parking lot and the board would
>> like to hear what everyone else is doing. Thank you
>>
>> *Cierra Bakovka, MLIS  *
>>
>> She/Her
>> *Director*
>> Henika District Library
>>
>> 149 South Main St.
>> Wayland, MI 49348
>> 269-792-2891 ext. 309
>> cierra at henikalibrary.org

> --
> *Mark Morton*
> Director
> Leland Township Public Library
> 203 E Cedar St
> PO Box 736
> Leland, MI 49654
> 231-256-9152

Bret R Boulter
he/him/his
Facilities Manager
Traverse Area District Library
bboulter at tadl.org
231-932-8522 (desk)
231-409-9656 (mobile)

*Currently reading "**The Art of Logic in an Illogical World" **by Eugenia
Cheng*