[Michlib-l] Spring Learning Opportunities from UW-Madison iSchool

UW iSchool CE ce-info at ischool.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 28 11:19:57 EST 2024

Spring Online Courses

Reference Desk Ready, Mar 11 – May 5 go.wisc.edu/n3477i<https://go.wisc.edu/n3477i>
The reference desk has always been a place for patrons to bring their questions, curiosity, and desire for answers. Whether staffing a physical reference desk in the library or helping users online, this class will provide the search and information skills you need to effectively serve library patrons’ needs. This class is for anyone working at a library reference desk, whether you are a new staff member or looking to refresh your skills.

[NEW] Creating a Welcoming Space for Immigrant and Refugee Families, Apr 8 – May 5 go.wisc.edu/m690r6<https://go.wisc.edu/m690r6>
While immigrant and refugee children and families are a growing presence in many of our communities, it is difficult to know how we can best serve them. Through this course, you will learn about and explore best practices for cultivating a welcoming space and supportive library services to immigrant and refugee children and families both in and beyond the physical library walls.

  *
[NEW] STEAM for Youth Services, Mar 4 – Mar 31
  *   Babies in the Library, Mar 18 – Apr 28

  *
Libraries and the Customer Experience, Apr 1 – Apr 28
  *   Trauma-Informed Care: An Introduction for Libraries, Apr 8 – May 19

See full course offerings: go.wisc.edu/ischool-ce<https://go.wisc.edu/ischool-ce>

Power Up: A Leadership Conference for Youth Services Managers & Staff

Registration Ending Soon!

March 21 - 22, 2024 in Madison, WI

$325 (with slide scale options)

Register today: go.wisc.edu/c02752<https://go.wisc.edu/c02752>

Power Up brings together youth services librarians and staff from public libraries, schools, after-school programs, museums, and other community partners. This year our opening keynote will be Past President of ALSC and REFORMA and award-winning author Lucia Gonzalez. Closing out the conference will be Mimi Ito, author of eight books, including Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Youth Living and Learning with New Media.

Creating Your New Library: Library Space Planning 101

Three-Part Webinar Series

Register today: go.wisc.edu/s3sg50<https://go.wisc.edu/s3sg50>

Are you looking to make a big or small change to your library’s space, but don’t know where to start? Join John Thompson, consultant and author of “WHAT THE $@!! AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO? A Library Building and Space Planning Guidebook.’” In this three part  webinar series, we walk through the initial steps of assessing your current public library spaces, how to lay the foundation for a successful project, and resources and tools to aid you through your journey. Participants will leave feeling more confident and armed with resources to help create a successful project.

Each webinar is presented live, and webinar attendees will also have access to an online course space with webinar recording, additional resources, and optional discussion board.

  *   Part 1 - Time to Dream: Assessing Library Space & Service Needs
March 5, 1-2 pm CST

  *   Part 2 - Creating Your Vision
March 12, 1-2 pm CST

  *   Part 3 - Making it Happen