[Michlib-l] Program vetting

Deb Hemmye dhemmye at hwoodslib.org
Wed Apr 17 17:08:45 EDT 2024

Hi all,

Do any of you have written policies regarding what kinds of programs you will allow and how your vet your presenters? I'm referring to library programs, not rentals. If someone approaches you about doing a program at the library, whether free or for a fee, how do you vet them? Do you have something in writing that your staff can follow in order to ascertain whether or not the individual or group is worth having?

If you're curious, this is why I ask: tomorrow we are having a special children's storytime called Jewish Folktales (we have a very high Jewish population in the two communities we serve). A Rabbi reached out to us and said that he does storytelling as a side hobby (he's free) and would love to do some storytelling for us at the library. When one of our city commissioners (we are a municipal library) saw the posting, she became very concerned because, according to this commissioner, the Rabbi belongs to an "ultraconservative, proselytizing Jewish sect" and she is questioning our willingness to have a program leader who did not come recommended and who, in fact, reached out to us. And that's where we're at.

Thanks!

Deb Hemmye
Library Director
Huntington Woods Public Library