[Michlib-l] Library Intern Position at Belleville Area District Library

Amy Greschaw agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us
Mon Oct 23 17:15:09 EDT 2023

The Belleville Area District Library is hiring for a Library Intern. The position is open to undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing a career in libraries. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our community, and our commitment to nurturing the talents of our staff. Come join us and help design the internship experience that's right for you!

For full position details, please see the attached posting or visit [ https://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | https://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]

(Contents of the attached job posting are pasted beneath my signature.)

Amy Greschaw
Head of Adult Services
Belleville Area District Library
167 4th St.
Belleville, MI 48111

(734) 699-3291

Position: Library Intern

Starting Salary: $17.00 /hr.

Hours: 12-20 hrs. /week

Includes a mix of day, evening, and weekend shifts

Some evening availability M-Th required

Deadline: Open until filled; interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.

The Belleville Area District Library strives to be the heart of our community. We are a Class V Library, serving a diverse population of 42,000 in Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township. Our staff is highly collaborative and endeavors to provide the public with superior customer service.

We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative candidate who wants to explore librarianship as a career. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in customer service and will be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.

Primary Responsibilities:

· Provide reference and readers’ advisory services in Youth, Adult or Teen departments as assigned.

· Will develop a project or projects under the supervision of librarian staff. Example areas of focus might include collection development, public programming, technology instruction, marketing/social media, or another area as agreed upon by the student and a librarian supervisor.

Description of Reference and Readers’ Advisory Duties:

· Answer questions at the public information desks in the Youth, Adult, and Teen departments.

· Help visitors search for materials in the online catalog and locate items in the library.

· Provide technology assistance to visitors at our public computers and on their personal devices.

· Promote and provide troubleshooting for our digital services, including Libby, Hoopla, and Kanopy.

· Assist librarians as needed in maintaining library collections.

· Facilitate an atmosphere of learning and discovery by understanding and implementing the library’s policies and procedures.

Requirements:

· Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.

· Must be available to work 12-20 hours /week in a mix of day, evening, and weekend shifts.

· Must be available to work 1-2 evenings /week between Monday and Thursday.

· Requires a minimum commitment of 6 months or one semester (as applicable), with a potential extension of the position up to a maximum of two years.

Desired Qualifications:

· Excellent customer service skills and a dedication to public service.

· Strong online searching and information evaluation skills.

· Comfortable with technology: has a working familiarity with PCs, printing, and a variety of personal digital devices.

· Ability to communicate effectively and to work collaboratively.

· Able to problem solve, alone or through collaboration with others.

· Willing to exercise initiative and sound independent judgment.

· Comfortable working with a variety of age groups. Experience with teens a plus!

The above is intended to describe the major responsibilities and requirements for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is an at-will position. The Belleville Area District Library is an equal opportunity employer. All decisions affecting employment shall be made without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, marital status, familial status, family responsibilities, protected veteran status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, height, weight, national origin, disability status, or other classification protected under federal, state or local law.

To Apply : please submit cover letter (see instructions below), resume, and Belleville Area District Library employment application to Amy Greschaw, Head of Adult Services, at [ mailto:agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us | agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us ] .

Undergraduate Students and Non-MLIS Graduate Students : In your cover letter, please describe your current course of study and any relevant experience you have, in libraries or customer service. Please describe why you are considering librarianship as a career and what aspects of the profession you’d like to learn more about. Tell us why you feel you would excel in the position described above.

LIS Graduate Students : In your cover letter, please describe how far along you are in your degree program, and how the courses you’ve taken thus far have prepared you for this position, along with any other experience or education you possess. Please describe for us your area of focus (if any) and discuss one or two areas/aspects of librarianship for which you’d like to develop a project.

Application can be found at [ http://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]