[Michlib-l] Library Pen Pal Program

Lorry Traver ltraver at ruthhughes.org
Wed Mar 15 12:00:55 EDT 2023

Good morning,
My library is also thinking of running this program for this year's summer
reading program. We are going to set up a mailbox in the library to avoid
giving out personal information to other patrons. We will ask patrons when
they register for our program whether they want to participate in this or
not. Those who do want to participate, we will assign them someone random
out of others who are also participating in the program.

Whenever they would like to drop off letters for their pen pals, they may
do so using the library mailbox. Then, myself or another staff member will
reach out to the pen pal and let them know there is a letter to pick up.

I wish you well in this endeavor - it's a super fun idea!

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 11:07 AM Director via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org>
wrote:

> Good morning everyone,
>
> My library staff came up with a great idea to go along with this year's
> "All Together Now" summer reading program, wherein we would set up a pen
> pal program with the Indian River County Library in Florida, active
> throughout SRP (from one Indian River to another).
>
> However, I am having a hard time working out the details around what this
> process would look like - if your library has done a pen pal program, can
> you share the procedure and any other information that would help guide us?
> Thank you in advance and I am happy to share responses!
>
> Best,
> Kelsey Rutkowski
> *--------------------------------------*
> *Library Director*
> *Indian River Area Library*
> 3546 S Straits Hwy
> PO Box 160
> Indian River, MI 49749
> (231) 238-8581
> indianriverlibrary.org

“It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can
live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.” – S.I.
Hayakawa

*Lorry Traver*
Youth Services Coordinator
Ruth Hughes Memorial District Library